TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > AMC Cars For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Custom V8 Gremlin in San Diego

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom V8 Gremlin in San Diego
    Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 11:11am
FOR SALE: There is a custom V8 Gremlin in my neighborhood (Vista, California) for sale. Many years ago, I met the man who customized it, he passed away. The man who has it now does not want to take the calls and questions, I am helping, middle man, no commission. The seller wants $5,000 and would not take my $2,000 offer. It was originally a six cylinder automatic. Can we find this car a good home?
360, auto, Edelbrock carb/intake, power steering, power disc brakes, exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust, coil on cap distributor and mice chewed spark plug wires. Wiring? Custom hood scoops, shaved door handles, blocked off side quarter windows. It looks like he put later model fenders and grill on an early Gremlin, since the VIN shows 1971. I took a picture of the rear end and by my count, I think it is a 12 bolt. After market 14" wheels front with 15" rear, flat tire, might air up. Registration sticker on license plate shows 2001, California DMV website shows fees would be $310 to bring it current. Seller states he has a title.
I have a car trailer/winch and can pull it out of it's muddy resting place and bring it home, where it is easier for a transporter to load it. I might need a few dollars for gas and time to do this part, if needed.
What would Brian Moyer have said? Make an offer, but please research transportation first, so you know what you are getting into.

The color "Maxi Blue" made a big splash at this past summer's AMO show in Michigan, several cars were featured together in the newsletter. While I don't know the original paint code color of this car or if this shade of blue is "Maxi Blue", maybe someone likes this color scheme.

Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Jan/23/2023 at 10:36am
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 2:27pm
wow that is cool .. power to weight in one of those would be awesome.....oooh the possibilities :-) mini tub/sub frame connectors--- looks like it would be a great car and FUN..!!!

1969 sst javelin restomod
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 4:01pm

Repsolroger,

Thanks for posting, yes! These are fun little cars, short wheelbase, I have had three factory V8 Gremlins and they are best with the manual transmission, if you can find one that came that way. The power to weight is great, not much for handling, more of a straight line little muscle car. In 1972 the V8 Gremlins came with torque links, which is a good way to avoid wheel hop without adding traction bars. More stealthy. I don't know what this one has, maybe I should go take another look some time. The custom changes and color combination are not my style, otherwise I would be chasing it harder myself. I might up my offer to $2,500, but I doubt the seller will accept that. Any higher offers? I have had a number of AMC's, where I got it for what I thought was a good price, invested some time and money along with what parts I had around. Then sold the car, to get what I had into it. So, for me it's mostly a break even hobby, just for fun.

Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Dec/18/2022 at 4:15pm
I love The AMC forum!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 4:03pm

I'd be a buyer if I had a place to park it and were not in the middle of a Javelin project.  I was actually looking for a Gremlin when I bought the Javelin, and Maxi-Blue would be my first choice of colors.  Would be great to get rid of the custom junk and make a stock-looking Gremlin X out of it.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/18/2022 at 4:05pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 4:05pm
Cam,
I never knew you were a Maxi Blue Gremlin fan. Knowing you, the car would end up better than new. I would just get it running, detail it a little and burn some rubber.
Tom
I love The AMC forum!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 4:12pm
Maxi Blue was not a '71 color, so I guess either a repaint, or maybe it's surfside turquoise, which is similar.  Not sure whether that was available on Gremlins or not.

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 7:38pm
HELP!!!! I'm stuck, please help me. I can't stop thinking about this V8 Gremlin, so I went back to take another look. Someone buy this car, so I don't.
Edelbrock Performer AMC aluminum intake and Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor, 600 CFM with electric choke.
Is it worth it to have these Edlebrock carburetors rebuilt? Who do you recommend? Price? Sometimes I think it is cheeper and quicker to just buy a new one.

Running electric fan in front of radiator to push and flex fan off engine with shroud to pull.

Calling all Gremlin lovers, here's your chance.
Spend you Christmas money on a cool custom V8 Gremmie!

Edited by AMX390 - Dec/19/2022 at 12:35pm
I love The AMC forum!

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2022 at 10:15pm
I feel your 2500 offer is more than generous for this car. 
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2022 at 10:42am
amxdreamer,
My offer was only $2,000. but I was thinking of offering $2,500. I love V8 Gremlins, but with all the customization, I am concerned there might be a lot of body filler everywhere that adds weight. The beauty of the V8 Gremlin is the light weight. And I can't stand the color. Years ago, when this car was freshly painted, I stopped by occasionally to speak with the owner, since I could see the car parked, when driving down the street. I recall he was so proud of it. One day I stopped by and he said it was for sale, I asked him why he was selling, since he loved it so much. "I am going over the mountain", he said. What??? Then he explained he had cancer. I know now that he gave the car to a neighbor before he passed away. The neighbor was going to save to car for his son, but the son was two years old, so it was going to be a while. The current owner of the car, David, eventually made a deal trade/cash and acquired the car. David has a large nursery property with a road side fruit/flower stand and many cars. I have driven by many times and noticed some interesting cars, but the Gremlin was hidden behind a fence. It was the guy at the CarQuest parts counter who gave me David's number, saying, "Oh your into AMC, I know a guy who wants to sell a V8 Gremlin". I called David and he described the car, as I was driving to go see it for the first time. I kept thinking how the description reminded me of the car from years ago. Sure enough, here it sits. It is probably still pretty fast, with the 360 auto and some bolt on go fast parts. But I don't want another complete restoration project, I would just get it running, detail it, insurance, registration, no SMOG for these older cars in California, and hot rod around town in it, burning expensive gas. Now you know, the rest of the story...
PS Since it is my Birthday today, I increased my offer to $2,500 and David countered with $3,500 firm.
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Dec/19/2022 at 12:34pm
I love The AMC forum!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2022 at 11:14am
After seeing the latest photos, the only way it would make sense to buy this car is to live with the custom bodywork.  Reversing that would take a lot of work and $$.  Could be a good car for someone to make a drag racer out of, but to revert it to near-showroom condition-- which is where I get my kicks-- is more than I'd want to undertake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic