TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Custom Dash Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Dash Ideas
    Posted: Sep/23/2021 at 1:54pm

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the Frankinrambler subforum.

I have a 69 AMX rolling shell that I plan to build into a street rod. I have always disliked the 68-69 dash configuration. The 70 is much better. I have a full 1970 dash from a Javelin I can use as a donor. It would need a different overlay which I know is available but pretty pricy for a non-restoration application. 

I'm also thinking about a full dash replacement using all aftermarket gauges. Something like this which is from one of the gen 1 Trans Am Javelins. 

I would need a speedometer of course and this one is a little too utilitarian. Do any of you have pictures of aftermarket - custom dash arrangements for an AMX/Javelin? 
Mike
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2021 at 3:59pm
i like that!
this is my rebel, aftermarket, but stock surround

69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2021 at 9:32am
Nice, thins for sharing. 
Mike
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2021 at 11:41am
Here's a pic of the dash before it was completed. The carbon fiber appearing overlay is a product made by 3M called DiNoc. Fairly easy to apply. The old wood overlay was removed first.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by motorhead_1 motorhead_1 wrote:

i like that!
this is my rebel, aftermarket, but stock surround

WOW!  Nice job!
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2021 at 5:09pm

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Here's a pic of the dash before it was completed. The carbon fiber appearing overlay is a product made by 3M called DiNoc. Fairly easy to apply. The old wood overlay was removed first.

Very nice. 

How did you do the borders and the Javelin script? I assume you trimmed the material around them? 
Mike
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2021 at 5:24pm
"The Menace" example is also very nice. 
Mike
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Very nice. 

How did you do the borders and the Javelin script? I assume you trimmed the material around them? 

I very carefully trimmed around the borders and the script. I very much wanted to retain the Javelin script, as everyone looks inside the car at car shows and at least then they know it's a Javelin, if they didn't already. I also like the idea of the fasteners being hidden.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 2:14pm
Thought I would post a photo of my 70 Jav dash. I did this project some years back. I went to Home Depot and bought a mahogany door skin meant for interior closet doors and such. I removed the aluminum overlay from the backing and used that as a template for cutting the mahogany. It's only like 1/8 inch thick so it cut pretty easy with sharp exacto blades. Also applied it to the console.

The gauges are all Autometer. The gas gauge is where the clock normally would be. Two more 2 5/8" mechanical gauges are for vacuum and oil pressure where the factory rally pack would be. On the column are two 2 1/16 gauges in pods, a mechanical temp gauge and a voltmeter. And of course a 160 mph speedo and 8k tachometer, both 3 1/2 inch. 

I also have indicator lights for turn signals and high beam.

And you can see the Vintage Air control panel just under the glovebox door. I intended to mount it in the original control panel opening, but the wires were not long enough to reach. Of course the A/C was a whole other project.

And here's the pic.

Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic