TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Custom Console for 1973 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Console for 1973 Javelin
    Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 1:33pm
Hi my AMC brothers & sisters

I've posted some of these pics before, but thought I'd put them up again in case anybody is looking to change or modify their center console on their 71-74 Javelin. The factory console was too low where your right elbow would normally rest, so I went searching for something I could create or modify for my 73'  I went to a local pick-n-pull with a tape measure and started looking around.  After looking at least 50 different consoles, I landed on a 2007 Nissan Altima.  The entire console was $35.00.

I decided to blend the old and new consoles together.  Front section would be the factory AMC console and the mid to rear section would be the Nissan console. 

Started by sectioning each console to get a good overlap of both parts to get a proper bond.

This was the first cut on the AMC console.

The picture above is the piece that was discarded.  The piece I needed was the front of the console that held the shifter plate.

After taking some measurements of both the old front and the new rear pieces, I had to make a relief cut in the map pocket in order to get both pieces to same width.  I cut the map pocket down the length of the pocket.  spread it open slightly and re-laid fiberglass and resin on the bottom to get the new gap to stay open.  Once the bottom of the relief cut was dry, I took raw fiberglass fibers and packed them into the relief cut on top, and then poured resin into the bottom of the newly created (wider) map pocket until it was flat.  Below is another picture of the relief cut, with the console turned over (upside down)

Next step was to join the two pieces together.  After lining them up and assuring the fit was correct, I clamped the two pieces together and then drilled four rivet holes on each side, through both pieces.
Removed the clamps, used a two part plastic epoxy on both surfaces and riveted it all together.  After that a bit of body filler to cover the rivet heads. If you look closely at the hole where the cup holder will go, you can see the overlay of the front and rear pieces.

Above is a pic of the roughed out console.  The very front hole accepts the factory shifter plate.  The next hole accepts the soft close/open cup holder and then the large center console storage behind that.  After I was happy with shape and had sanded the filler down to 320 grit, I sprayed the entire assembly with SEM spray texture and then finally SEM plastic primer and adhesive promoter and SEM Landau Black plastic paint.  Below is the final product.

And finally a couple of pics of it installed...

Edited by DMack - Jan/21/2022 at 1:53pm
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 1:56pm
That looks modern, in a very classic sort of way! I like it a lot, Great job.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 2:39pm
Super, very nice looking job.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 2:50pm
That is class. Nice work.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
CAPTAIN46 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAIN46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 8:10pm
Impressed 
Regatta Blue 69 AMX GOPAK
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 8:51pm
Nice job. Thumbs Up

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 11:41pm
wow that turned out great.....super cool

1969 sst javelin restomod
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2022 at 7:14am
Thumbs Up
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 4:40pm
Thanks for sharing!!!
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 4:51pm
Sweet graft job.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic