TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crazy Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 7:41pm
Mine sort of looks like this one only 10 AMP:
But you would have to test it before using it to ensure you have a 60 Hz frequency!

Could build one fairly cheaply:
plus transformer, case, wire and fuses.

Edited by Trader - Dec/03/2021 at 7:50pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 11:04pm
I owned a Tungar charger back when I was in my 20's. It was ancient then, I think 1920 - 1930. Looked like a camp stove with a scary hot glass mercury diode. One side of the DC output was connected to the AC line. They were deathtraps. Probably out out 3 - 5 amps. Regulation? HAHA!

Horrid old thing. Wish I had it now!

Not to use! Now I have a Battery Minder, microprocessor-controlled, contains more computing power than the CIA had in 1970.

The Tungar definitely did not filter it's DC.. it definitely would make that tach emit smoke and parts.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 6:23am
Thankfully you survived Tom!
An electrical device will only draw the current allowed though it. Fuses are used to protect the wiring in case what is at the end of the line develops a short and draws too much current.
You will not smoke or have parts self destruct if you have measured the voltage source and it is within the specification of the "driven" part.
You can take a 12VDC led light that draws miniscule AMPs or a 12VDC blower motor that draws multiple AMPs and test them on the same car battery with nothing going up in smoke unless they are defective with an internal short.
How many have just put LED bulbs in place of incandescent without changing any wiring or fuses - even though their AMP draw is far different?
Micro processors are not always the best and greatest things either. My current troubleshooting was a vehicle that was not charging the battery even though the battery and alternator tested fine. The ECU decided that the battery would not get charged if there was a 0.5 VDC drop between the battery and alternator output terminals even though you could read the 14.2VDC at the battery terminal when the engine was running (secondary 0.3 AMP circuit from the ECU)
Three hours to determine the alternator terminal needed to be cleaned - and a real @##$% to get at! And no idea why someone would even design this.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2021 at 12:30pm
Cluster is getting closer. The overlay needs the numbers repainted and color gels installed but looks pretty good so far.

I think I'm going to install the tach's shift light where the "OIL" indicator is.

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2021 at 6:27pm
Why not use the "Park" light for the shift indicator since it's unused in that cluster?

That tach retrofit looks really good!
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Why not use the "Park" light for the shift indicator since it's unused in that cluster?

That tach retrofit looks really good!

I was contemplating that also. Chose the "OIL" indicator since it's right atop the tach. Not sure how bright the shift light from the aftermarket tach is, probably pretty bright. Plus the "PARK" and "BRAKE" are kind of in a bore which may be harder to see.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2022 at 4:02pm
Finished making a box for the PCB on the back of the tach. The shift light is positioned where the "OIL" light use to be (I have a gauge instead).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic