TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crazy Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy Idea
    Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 7:44pm
I've been playing with some junk tachometers I have for my '69 AMX. Wondered about transplanting a new tach drive in the original location. Found a 10,000 RPM tach that appears to have a nearly identical scale as the 8,000 RPM stock tach. 0 and 7,000 RPM are inline with the needle pivot so I've purchased an Auto Meter 233909 with the intention of using the stock faceplate with an aftermarket instrument.

Will update this thread on the progress.

-Steve-

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 6:08am
Not at all crazy. In fact it's done quite a bit. My tach has been converted with a new tach in behind the original face and needle. You can't tell the difference but it works with the Hemi when no adaptor would make the original work.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 7:20am
I did the same as Mopar_Guy. I have a modern tach behind a old faceplate. ANd I just had to freshen up the faceplate during the process. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 12:18pm
Yep, I did the same. At least the tach is now accurate, lol. 
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 4:56pm
How do you guys determine what aftermarket tach will work best behind the factory faceplate? I would be interested in this for my 68 Amx and keeping that factory look. 
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Amx68 Amx68 wrote:

How do you guys determine what aftermarket tach will work best behind the factory faceplate? I would be interested in this for my 68 Amx and keeping that factory look. 

Physical size, sweep and quality (brand/price). I used an Autometer 2698 Z-series, analogue, 2-1/16” diameter, 0-8,000 RPM tachometer, available at Summit Racing for $159.99 

Below is a photo of the front and back - disregard the male terminals for the wiring on the back, they’ve since been replaced with a 3-wire (trailer hitch type) connector. Also disregard the position of the needle in the front photo - that was prior to calibration/adjustment: 

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/29/2021 at 11:13am
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 10:20am
How were you guys bable to transfer the original tach needle to the replacement tach to maintain the factory appearance ? What brand tach was used to make the switch ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

How were you guys bable to transfer the original tach needle to the replacement tach to maintain the factory appearance ? What brand tach was used to make the switch ?

I was wondering the same thing.

-Steve-
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 8:46pm
For me, I removed the factory needle and super-glued it to the Autometer tach needle. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 10:32pm
Make sure you calibrate it and check it with an external tach.  A different weight needle could throw it off.  Their internal springs and mechanisms are calibrated for their specific setups/weights.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic