TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

crankshaft worries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crankshaft worries
    Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 3:46pm
Well i received my crankshaft back from the machine shop i sent it to. He did everything that i wanted done. I had a 401 crank destroked to 3.566 and 2.100 journals. I have never built an engine with a detroked crank. I didn't consider how much the oil holes would move and thats what worries me. Someone that has gone through this before what are my options do i need some kind of correction. My only thought is to put a little more chamfer towards the journal center if needed. Look at my pics and tell me your thoughts, am i OK the way it is or extra work needed. Thanks
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 3:57pm
I see nothing wrong with it, but wonder why you would destroke a 401 crank?

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 4:42pm
Those don't look bad.  If you are worried about the mains, you could have channels like these put in.
100_2328 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 6:12pm
Hi P/S Tom, This is what i ordered the 6" rods for from you a few months ago. It all started many years (20) ago and i was thinking about rod length ratios and bore to stroke ratios. It all looked good on paper so i am now moving forward with this plan. i could never seem to get my hands on a 401 block so this is going in a 360 bored at 4.125. 401's blocks are to hard to fine here in new mexico. This crank had a big gouge in#2 journal so it seemed to be a good choice to destroke this one. I get 381ci out of this combination. Have a custom bullet solid cam. 291C heads and a new torker bought in the early 80's. Planting this in a 79Spirit AMX. It's enough engine for me. Paul
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 8:32pm
I don't see anything wrong.

I think it looks fine. No different than my 3.9 stroke 401 cranks...and I have never had a rod journal bearing issue.

I am running them at 750 horse and 7600 rpm and a 2" journal.

I assume that a de-stroke is stronger than a stroke because there is more journal overlap.......especially with a 2.1" rod journal size.

That should be one strong crank....although personally I would never de-stroke a crank.

IMO you should have shot for a 3.8 stroke with a 2.100 journal size. Proven a good combo over and over again in high hp applications using a stock crank!

All of that rod ratio stuff is a bunch of crap.

The correct rod length is the one that the pistons clears the counter weights and gives you room on the pistons for a reasonable ring package.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Dec/04/2021 at 8:55pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 12:10pm
Thanks for your encouraging words that its ok. This has been a very slow build so the ratio is something i read a lot about long ago. Any way i now have a forged bottom end stuck in a 360 block, oh well it should work fine. I have one flat flange 401 crank left in my stash of parts. Probably won't ever use it. Thanks all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic