TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cooling at high rpm ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 8:51am
200 was running down the road 210 at idle  would drop once moving  but not much  and i put a spring in the bottom hose 

Edited by matty 401 - Sep/24/2021 at 9:06am
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 11:41pm
In one of your first posts, you said that you were not running a shroud. Have you added that yet? It is critical that airflow is directed through the radiator and not just “around“ the radiator. The shroud can make all the difference in the world.

I totally agree with what people said about the electric fans. We used a Ford Taurus fan on a 65 Mustang with a very hot 289 that was bored .060 over. Never even had it kick on to the high speed  setting. The factory Taurus fan from the 3.8 L V6 sucks enough air to pull small animals through a radiator.   You will need a good alternator. The Volvo relay works perfectly for the Taurus fan.  We put the temperature switch on the return line at the bottom of the radiator. It was one of the two-stage BMW switches. 
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 8:16am
no shroud  took stock fan off and went with a 16 inch electric mounted directly to rad 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 12:01pm
Watching someone trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist has to be more entertaining than watching a drunk monkey attempting to hump a beach ball. LOL
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Watching someone trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist has to be more entertaining than watching a drunk monkey attempting to hump a beach ball. LOL
Amen.  200 degrees is fine
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

glad you are having a good time at my problem  the temp keeps climbing and does not come down  until i park and let it cool off  if you do not want to help  do not say anything 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 4:31pm
Electric fan still needs a shroud.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 9:31pm
A stock clutch fan runs fine and on my car, still runs fine. You had bad luck with a stock clutch fan failing. Happens. It's still in my opinion, with shroud, the best cooling.
Last year looked at an electric dual fan setup that was not performing. It turned out to be a wiring issue.
Electric fans can act like wind mills, and make current, if wired wrong, they actually stop each other from rotating. The faster they turned the more they stopped moving.
It was very difficult to determine what was happening until a gust of wind showed voltage on the meter while trying to find the problem.
If running dual electric fans, ensure they are electrically not in connected directly. I.E. diodes so they cannot back feed each other.
Just installing electric fans without the control system that goes with them is a recipe for poor cooling.
Opinion, go back to the clutch fan and shroud. Simple and works without a lot of maintenance and worry. Most clutch fans failed due to unmaintained engines, cleanliness.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 10:12pm
put contour fans  1 relay per fan  in town  160-180  as soon as i get on the highway  210-224 and climbing  i am stumped 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 11:23pm
Have you checked your timing just to make sure that it’s not retarded?

It sure sounds like a water flow problem. You are either pumping it through the radiator too fast to remove the heat from it or you are not pumping enough through the radiator. The fact that it will idle with low temperatures tells us that you do have good airflow.  I assume that your electrics do run at highway speed as needed?

Is your grill open and clean and clear and are the fins in the radiator in OK shape? How old is the radiator?  No air pockets?

Edited by rgsauger - Oct/09/2021 at 11:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic