TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Convertible top for 1963 American 440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convertible top for 1963 American 440
    Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 5:58pm
Hello,
I recently acquired a 1963 Rambler American 440.  It is headed to our mechanic in a couple of days but meanwhile, we'd like to get the top up.  The previous owner never had it out of the boot as he said the guy he got it from said it was a pain to get it put down.   My question is, can we put it up manuallly?  The togle switch on the dash doesn't do anything.   We tried briefly to raise it but was afraid to force it at all.   Any advise is appreciated!  

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 6:13pm
Welcome, and congrats on your acquisition!
I have a '62 convert!
You have a power top. It's not meant to be raised or lowered manually.

Probably what you need to do:
1. Carefully remove the rear quarter trim panels (those big panels beside the back seat.)
2. Disconnect the two hydraulic rams from the top mechanism.
3. Use a little clear lube, maybe WD40 on the mechanism hinge pivots that you can see.
4 Then I would suggest that two of you try to pull the top up. You don't want to bend any of the mechanism.

Then you can do some troubleshooting:
Are the hydraulic rams siezed?
Does the motor/pump in the trunk run?
It's all pretty basic stuff, but if it's been in the down position for a long time (and had issues before), you're probably going to need new pump, lines, and maybe the ram/cylinders.

Good luck!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
MCP View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 6:39pm
Thanks so much!  I knew it had a motor which was why we were afraid to try and raise it manually.  We will take a peek and see what we can find.   Thanks again!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 8:44pm
Motor/pump combo will be in the trunk, on the rear axle hump. Hydraulic lines will run to it.
The motor has a circuit breaker under the dash.
Replacements are available.
Google some of your questions like "how to fix my vintage convertible top motor" and that will help to.
Hydro-Electric is one of the national known companies that supply those kinds of parts and advice.
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 10:16pm
My 66 American convertible has the pump behind the back of the rear seat. I put mine up manually but I had to go slowly because it was sucking fluid into the cylinders as it raised. It was not easy. I would pull out the seat back and Hotwire the pump to a battery. If the pump runs, ok. If it runs but the top doesn’t move, add fluid and help it by hand. If it doesn’t run, remove it and let the lines suck air as you raise it manually. It switches polarity to go up and down. I don’t have a wiring diagram in front of me.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 12:41pm
It will go up much easier if you disconnect the rams. If the rods are rusty, they won't want to move anyway.
MCP View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 1:31pm
It is hard telling what we will find.  I looked in the trunk and found the pump motor and a plastic tube connected to the canvas top via a fixture and a radiator clamp but it is just hanging down.  There is no noise at all when we try the switch on the dash but so far have not seen anything disconnected under there - although the wires for lights/wipers were unplugged.  I am fortunate to have gotten a large manual with the wiring diagrams etc included with the car so our neighbor took a look and at least got those hooked up so the turn signals etc are working.  Hopefully they weren't unplugged because of an electrical problem a previous owner had and got tired of trying to figure out!  As for the engine, the car runs but after it warms up will die unless given gas.  (not fun when trying to shift gears...)   Hopefully our mechanic will figure out that issue.    If yours has a clutch, I'm curious - are they all adjusted so they have to be nearly all the way out to engage?   This one is but I'm hoping it can be adjusted.   I don't expect it to be quite like my modern car but hoping it can be a bit better.  Thanks for your time!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 2:16pm
The plastic tube is a water drain tube, so the rainwater that flows in around the edges where the top meets the body, can be kept out of the trunk and interior!

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 7:09am
I'd pull the hydraulic pump and rams and check with a battery or 12V power supply on a bench. If a hose has a leak (they are OLD!!) you don't want to dump fluid all in the car where it will be hard to clean up. It's a bit of work to remove it all, but you probably want to have new hoses made unless you can verify that the ones you have are less than 10 years old. Any hydraulic shop can make hoses and rebuild the cylinders, possibly the pump. Any 12V pump will technically work, so they may have a better replacement option -- though most shops are going to be for HD equipment with engine driven pumps.

With the cylinders (rams) disconnected you should be able to raise and lower the top manually with two people, just be careful and go kind of slow.
Frank Swygert
MCP View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 8:23am
Actually we were very fortunate that the pump was just a bit "seized up" and when our mechanic "talked nicely to it!" it unseized and with a flip of the switch the top went up and is in quite good shape (one small rip on outer section - not clear through).  We were all amazed!  Thanks for your advice in any event!   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic