TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Contour Electric Fan Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

has anybody cut flaps for this set up  so running down the highway  you get more air flow ? 
You could, with my wiring setup I delete the resister as not needed, I have no issues with highway speed airflow, runs about 10 degrees cooler the traffic driving.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 1:44pm
resister is still in place  would have to take it off to remove it 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

resister is still in place  would have to take it off to remove it 
I ran my fans in series for low speed and parallel for high, so didn't need the resister.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 5:48am
73hornut. is there much difference in the speed of the fans wired that way? I just have mine wired on high, parallel, with two thermostats. One fan comes on 10-15 degrees before the other. I understand the difference between series and parallel wiring, but would think that the power to the fans would be nearly the same -- just drawn through one relay instead of two.
Frank Swygert
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 6:53am
mine are wired for high each has it's own relay 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

73hornut. is there much difference in the speed of the fans wired that way? I just have mine wired on high, parallel, with two thermostats. One fan comes on 10-15 degrees before the other. I understand the difference between series and parallel wiring, but would think that the power to the fans would be nearly the same -- just drawn through one relay instead of two.
Sorry so late Frank. Yes they run much slower in series then parallel. I run a 2 spd thermal switch, low puts both fans in series each seeing near half voltage, then high switches them to full voltage parallel. requires 3 relays.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2022 at 2:08pm

Dual Contour fan on 401 Gremlin

71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 12:21pm

The subject of Contour electric fans came up in a thread under transmissions and drivetrains, and since this one seems to be the quintessential instruction guide for electric fans, I thought someone might notice it has a new post.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Feb/20/2023 at 12:24pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2023 at 10:02pm
My other thread, https://theamcforum.com/forum/ruined-my-radiator-and-fan-today_topic118405.html , where I documented my woes of an original flex fan on a March serpentine system that ate up my radiator, has lead me to this thread where I'm finally going to use the Contour unit I obtained from a junk yard several year ago.  First thing, and its been stated here before, is the Contour shroud fits perfectly in the radiator, both the original radiator and the replacement Champion #407:

even with a rubber channel installed over the edge to protect the core:  https://www.steelerubber.com/search?q=70-3167-33  Not shown, to secure it to the radiator I drilled through each plastic tab (4 plcs), through the radiator mounting bracket, and used sheet metal screws.  I ground off the screws that stuck through the radiator bracket so they were flush with the mounting side.

My next opportunity (that's what they called "problems" at work) is how to control the fans.  Now I know there have been many ways to wire and control the fans presented in this thread, but I spent an entire day searching different brands, watching installation videos (mostly Mustangs) and reading installation instructions of PWM (pulse width modulator) controllers and pulled the trigger on a Derale # 16797 from Summit (you have to buy from certain vendors to be eligible for their warranty).  I will admit I was biased by a previous Derale dual fan and shroud purchase with a PWM that I couldn't get to fit, but it offers what I think I need in a nice size and should be easy to wire (I have also already done the wiring from the battery to the PWM, so I'm halfway there).  PWM is to be delivered in a few days, so I'll be back.
Bill O.
70 AMX
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2023 at 1:14am
I did the same. The derale pwm controller worked well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic