TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Contour Electric Fan Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2020 at 7:56pm
Looking at the housing you have there, why don't you just tap that flat spot in the backside and use that so there's no adapter that could make an air pocket?

I use a much more common switch than what you have like this that doesn't have metric threads and a special connector. https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-Electric-Thermostat-Temperature-Cooling/dp/B01HAUHFVY/

Edited by Mopar_guy - Aug/17/2020 at 8:00pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Looking at the housing you have there, why don't you just tap that flat spot in the backside and use that so there's no adapter that could make an air pocket?

I use a much more common switch than what you have like this that doesn't have metric threads and a special connector. https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-Electric-Thermostat-Temperature-Cooling/dp/B01HAUHFVY/

There's a clearance issue at that spot. I already have a water neck with a threaded port at that position and there isn't enough room to fit it.

How would be switch from three wires to one? My wiring harness from the relay would need to be modified. Correct?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 4:25pm
So guys... I gotta tell you.. I'm having a real hard time trying to mount the BMW sensor in the water neck. I sent my parts off to my friend who works at a machine shop. He said that this straight thread is not correct and won't seal properly like an NPT pipe thread would. 

Can anyone tell me... What was used to seal the sensor and the brass fitting to the water neck? Teflon tape? My friend is telling me that it really needs and O Ring of some sort.

Trying to figure this out has cost me at least a month of time and my car just keeps sitting. Is there another sensor that will work with the Volvo fan relay but has a 3/8th thread? I can't keep messing around like this.

Thanks.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

So guys... I gotta tell you.. I'm having a real hard time trying to mount the BMW sensor in the water neck. I sent my parts off to my friend who works at a machine shop. He said that this straight thread is not correct and won't seal properly like an NPT pipe thread would. 

Can anyone tell me... What was used to seal the sensor and the brass fitting to the water neck? Teflon tape? My friend is telling me that it really needs and O Ring of some sort.

Trying to figure this out has cost me at least a month of time and my car just keeps sitting. Is there another sensor that will work with the Volvo fan relay but has a 3/8th thread? I can't keep messing around like this.

Thanks.

It goes to show you the simplest method ends up being more work with our engines and cars these days.

Donno, I really like the old late 60a Ford 3 way switch. Basically cold,running temp, and hot... for the idiot lights. Had it on my 68 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 390.

Though you would need to wire the running temp on the small
Fan, or use a PWM control module (Pulse width Modulator) in line to adjust how much speed you need at operational temp. Though you will have an unused terminal for cold operation. May come in handy for electric choke.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 4:52pm
You can prrobably consider a chevy truck 2 relay fan control.
The low input runs both fans in series, the high redirects to parallel.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

There's a clearance issue at that spot. I already have a water neck with a threaded port at that position and there isn't enough room to fit it.

How would be switch from three wires to one? My wiring harness from the relay would need to be modified. Correct?

The switch grounds the relay so it comes on. Pretty simple. I'd have to go back and read this from the start but I thought it was overly complicated for what it is.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2020 at 9:14am
Thanks for the input guys... does anyone have part numbers or links for alternate sensors? I'd like to look them over. I am really stuck with this car right now... the fan is installed, the wiring is done... but I can't run the car and tune the carb without this sensor fitting to adapt it. The car is ready to go... but this one little thing has really brought progress to a screeching halt.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 9:41pm
Ok... Well after an exhausting search and more emails than I'd like to admit to... I found an alternative adapter that converts to 1/2" instead 3/8" and an inline coolant tube with a 1/2" port. I think this pretty much solves this problem for someone who isn't capable of making the threaded adapter for the water neck port location. What do you guys think of this approach?

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 9:46pm
You may have some leakage issue with the british standard like thread in a NPT hole.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2020 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

You may have some leakage issue with the british standard like thread in a NPT hole.

Ugh... So that's not the right thread? I'm about to give up and go to a clutch fan.. This sucks... Ok... What about this one... 

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Sep/01/2020 at 4:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic