TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Complt Brak syst rebuild ACHIEVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2022 at 10:40pm
Thanks farna! 
I'm happier with the way its looks the second time I built the front lines. 
Thanks! for the info about the diff between nickel copper and steel lines, but I'm Gunna stick with the steel lines, the info you posted may have some merit, but I think the steel lines will be fine. 
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 9:53am
After remaking some of the lines that I needed to remake (a 3rd time!) , and went through the ideas of using modified wheel cyls that didn't work out, and ordering new ones from blaster auto and putting them on, ordering the right kind of brass t for the rear axle, putting on copper crusher washers I didn't know I needed, ect ect I was ready to fill the brake system again.

But it leaked at the hard line nut that comes out of the master cylinder adapter at the front port from the master cylinder. 
This was one of the lines that I had to move a little to help the threads of the nut thread into the fitting. 
(funny thing, that one went in easier then the rear port, but the rear port wasn't leaking) 

I think I've learned that if the brake line has to pushed or pulled to thread into the fitting, it might still be pulling or pushing this way or that after it has been tightened down, and the holding power of the threads will not be enough to compress the double inverted flare onto the seat in a balanced way and the brake fluid, influenced by hundreds of pounds of pressure per square inch, will find a way out of the that spot/side the flare isn't compressed onto the flare as much as the other side, and there will be a leak there. 

So I will try and remake some of the ends of the hard lines, and try and maybe reduce or make longer the length by maybe 1/8 of an inch,
and make sure the lines are threading into the fittings with reasonable and smaller amounts of "helping" for the lines to get connected. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/17/2023 at 10:15am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 8:47pm
Got it done, after it leaked again at the fourth and fifth attempt, I resorted to admitting I suck at making my own hard line flares. 

Only two lines i made were good.

after buying three d. I. f. tool kits, a butt load of hard lines, 25 foot roll of the stuff too, new single piston master cylinder that I didn't use, the line lappet that didn't help me, but still did its job btw.... Various fittings or unions and mc adapters, I resorted to farna advice and used pre made hard lines and made "s" shapes to take up the extra length of some of the lines.

I had to sit down and take a second to try and trust the unbelievable victory over the endless trouble of this job... 

I couldn't beleive it.... seeing there wasn't any more leaks after chasing them down one after the other, there wasn't that many, just a few, they would appear after one leak was fixed, I ges the pressure grew as the system had its leaks disappeare, and the next weakest spot would spring a leak... 

I struggled with one connection at the rear port of the mc adapter, that hard line kept leaking and even after I tested it and gently tightend it, the leak would stop, but next day it would reappear.

But now it seems its gone for good, no more leaks. 
Man, what an immense effort... 
Here's some pics... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Mar/23/2023 at 8:55pm
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

Got it done, after it leaked again at the fourth and fifth attempt.....

But now it seems its gone for good, no more leaks. 
Man, what an immense effort... 

man, you got fortitude!!  good 4 u for not giving in and hiring a pro.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 6:09am
Success!!! That's the most important thing!!

I'm glad you hung in there! Back when I tried my hand at making my own double flares with steel line I only needed to replace one line. Messed up the cheap flare tool kit I had been doing copper lines with trying to do the first one. Bought a name brand kit from the auto parts store and made a couple flares that leaked. Was difficult to make double flares with a hand kit! Made a regular "single" flare and tried it. Sealed, but I didn't want to trust it... they used doubles on brake lines for a reason, right? So I wasted that day, bought a pre-made line the next.

You hung in there and tried a lot more than I did, but this was a daily driver for me and I would need it in a few days (had a motorcycle that I used half the time, weather permitting, so wasn't stranded... and my wife had her car...). If not for that I might have put in more time and effort to learn to make my own. The pro mechanic at the Auto Hobby Shop (USAF base) told me the shop he'd worked at before had a hydraulic kit that worked well, he'd never been able to do it with a hand kit. Some cheap hydraulic kits (hand squeeze pump) are on Amazon for as little as $108, but most are closer to (and above) $200.
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 8:11am
I am proud of you.  Determination may not always win the battle but without it you don't have a chance.  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 10:16pm
Thanks everybody!!!!

I tested the brakes and the car stops, the right front is pulling way more, an adjustment with the star adjuster behind the drum is my first idea on how to fix the imbalance, but the car has working brakes, that are all new, it's pretty sweet!

Thanks again guys for your advice support and congratulations :) 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 6:22am
  The right front may be dragging a little bit.  When the brake linings get hot they stop much better than when cold.  A way to check that is to drive the car and do a couple hard stops.  See if the balance gets better or worse once the brakes heat up a bit.
  Then drive the car for a few miles to cool the brakes back off before parking it.  
  But its really good news that you have brakes!  Lots of frustration along the way, but you got it.  

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic