TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Complt Brak syst rebuild ACHIEVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2022 at 1:59pm
73hornut- "the way you bent the hard line yiu will never get the air out" your probably talking about the 5/16 size coming from the MC... how would I never get the air out? Shouldn't press g the pedal enough do the trick? 
Ok, yesterday I found out I was calling it a compression fitting and I was wrong to use that term, I now know its called flare and not compression. All the flares leaked, and I was using a real cheap flare tool, I geuss that's my other mistake, the stores I went to yesterday didn't have any good ones so I'll try online.
About the junction blocks, here is a pic of the damage to the seats where the flare sits when the nut is tightened 

, I wouldn't think what you suggest would work to remove those as possible problems.
Also, here is a pic of the old soft lines compared to the new soft lines, the brand is raybestos, and the counter person looked through his book to see what other amcs used a soft line, went and showed it to me, I looked at it, but didn't see the tiny bit of difference at the end that interfaces with the seat inside the wheel cylinders, I think this is why they leaked... Would it be a bad idea to use new old stock brake lines if I found them? After all these years would the material be degraded and unfit to use? Galvins has them, and also the five port junction block, but they are in the process of moving and unavailable amc lives has some for the ambassador and marlin for various years of the 1960's, and those ends look alot more identical then the ones in this pic I took I think I'll buy just one and see when I have it in hand...(just orders it, should be in hand in a few weeks) Here is a pic of the seats inside the wheel cylinders... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Oct/23/2022 at 4:30pm
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2022 at 9:41pm
Copper nickel brake line tubing is a dream to run and flare!  Will never use anything else again.  Blue Point, same as snap on, makes a nice flare tool kit.  Very affordable.  

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 7:10am
The factory lines are steel. What’s the PSI for brake lines? I dunno, but I personally wouldn’t use a copper-nickel alloy for brake lines, there’s a reason why OEM’s don’t.  
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 7:39am
An automotive brake system is typically 800 to 2000 PSI operating pressures.
Brake line material, 4:1 safety factor by design, so burst pressure is typically 4x these values:
SS is good to 7000 PSI
Steel is good to 5800 PSI
Copper Nickel is 4550 PSI

OEM do not use Copper Nickel or SS do to cost vs steel in mass production.

There should be no concern using Copper Nickel brake line material.

My trades tests, we bent tubing on a fixed planning board and ran copper tubing, 3000 PSI and no leaks was the benchmark for a pass. 6000 to 7000 PSI is when you would see the first burst tube.

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

An automotive brake system is typically 800 to 2000 PSI operating pressures.
Brake line material, 4:1 safety factor by design, so burst pressure is typically 4x these values:
SS is good to 7000 PSI
Steel is good to 5800 PSI
Copper Nickel is 4550 PSI

OEM do not use Copper Nickel or SS do to cost vs steel in mass production.

There should be no concern using Copper Nickel brake line material.

My trades tests, we bent tubing on a fixed planning board and ran copper tubing, 3000 PSI and no leaks was the benchmark for a pass. 6000 to 7000 PSI is when you would see the first burst tube.

X2
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 8:10am
There’s still a reduction in the safety margin. I would personally never use the stuff. 

Use of copper-nickel has gained popularity recently due solely to its ease of workability, no other reason. I’ve bent & flared plenty of steel lines and had no issues at all - if you’re having difficulty forming, bending or flaring steel brake lines then you’re either using the wrong equipment or the wrong technique. The use of a copper-nickel alloy is an attempt to compensate for this. 

Edited by sweatlock - Oct/24/2022 at 8:12am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 8:17am
Ddouble flares are hard to make on steel line. I'd get the copper-nickel if I really wanted to do my own. A GOOD high quality flaring tool is a must! Even then double flares are tough. I just get pre-made lines. They are in 6" increments up to 60" and already have double flares on both ends. Unless you simply have to have it exact a small S bend in a line a couple inches too long makes it just right.
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 8:27am
Respectfully disagree.
Safety margin is reduced, but well within design specifications - that we can agree on.
Copper-Nickel has many advantages over steel:
It does not corrode outside, does not corrode inside, easy to bend, easy to flare, being softer - better at sealing.
It's your car so your choice of how to build it. Go to any modern custom hot rod shop and they will be using Copper Nickel - without doubt.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 9:44am
I bought this flaring tool many years ago (it used to be under $200), I've done steel, copper/nickle, and stainless with it.  I've done fuel line up to 3/8".   It is nearly foolproof if you take your time.  I also bought the turret for 37 degree so I can do AN fittings.    It's paid for itself in time saved.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

You need the real flaring tool.  And do not use SST lines.  The eastwood flare tool is supposed to be awesome.  
Do not use copper washers again; they are not expensive.  No new copper washer should have patterns stamped into it- that's scoring from tightening on a used washer.  A new washer should be smooth.

Steve,

Why do you state "do not use SST lines"?  I had used stainless steel tubing exclusively at work when making up lines for hydraulic systems.  Stainless steel was a requirement due to the use of water-glycol hydraulic fluids being used.  The stainless tubing was less forgiving than copper, aluminum or plain steel but never seemed to be a problem when using the proper tools to bend and flare.

dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic