TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

come flywheel wit me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: come flywheel wit me...
    Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 3:28pm
Has anyone whose had to replace or switch out a flywheel have nay advice on what to buy as the replacement?  Later '72 360 crank and going from a TF to a 4 spd.  Theres one at Jegs for 95 bucks, one at Kennedy for 200, another AMC vendor has one for almost 6oo, and the various aftermarket candidates from the other online speed shops somewhere in between.  Engine might see some improvements one day that will get it close to 400HP, but thats it.  Plans are to almost DD it with some road course action.  Not interested in or set up for the strip.  Centerforce -Ram -Luc?  Havent bought a clutch yet either.  Guess it has to be externally balanced.

Anyone to avoid?  Thanks!
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 4:49pm
For a flywheel, Rick has had recommended the JEG's. But some here in Canada have had issues with fit and it's not worth the cost of return.
If going billet on the flywheel, PWR makes a good product at a reasonable cost. Call them, as there web page description's are still not corrected.
As for clutch, Ram is nice but a lot of $$$. Luc is fine, people like Centerorce - personally don't, also add ACT to the clutch list as a reasonably priced, good quality product.
Just remember your driving habits when choosing a clutch. A B&B will be a lot harder on the left leg for street driving vs a diaphragm. And modern diaphragm materials are better then they were back in the day for clamping force.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 4:56pm
Thanks Trader. 
Always appreesh the good advice.
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 5:23pm
I read on here somewhere that Ford and Dodge or Dodge and Ford or one of the other had the same pressure plate bolt pattern - 6 bolt 10 3/8" concentric?  So I dont need a "AMC" clutch package to bolt onto the "AMC" flywheel.  Is that right?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2021 at 6:53am
There is a post somewhere with this chart:
The Chevy/Dodge 10.5 - 11-5/8"equidistant is one, and there are factory flywheels with the Ford 11 - 12-3/8" if memory serves correctly.
The TOB to match you AMC clutch fork, bearing retainer and the clutch fingers are important. A good shop will be able to provide the mix and match that fit, but they are harder to find every year.
There is a 304 in my garage now that has an 11" clutch. Have not been able to track down the numbers of the B&B clutch it came with.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 2:12pm
Novak Adapts has a pilot and a TO bearing for this kind of conversion.  I'm going to go that route first.  gonna take some good measurements of both for future reference.
BlastFromThePast View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlastFromThePast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 8:21pm
I just did a T10 conversion on my Hornet....later (73) 360....used the Jegs flywheel...fit perfect and is balanced correctly. Had a problem with the LUK replacement clutch unit...but went with Centerforce and all is well......Hope this helps a little...
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 6:03pm
moocho thanks.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

I read on here somewhere that Ford and Dodge or Dodge and Ford or one of the other had the same pressure plate bolt pattern - 6 bolt 10 3/8" concentric?  So I dont need a "AMC" clutch package to bolt onto the "AMC" flywheel.  Is that right?
I think AMC has the same clutch bolt pattern as most chebby applications.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 10:04pm
At a show Saturday past and talked to someone that uses an AMC clutch with a cheby friction plate combo that took his 1/4 mile times from 11.7 to 11.2 - no other changes.
He is very consistent at 0.01 to 0.03 seconds of the line so this is not a factor.
The local transmission shop stated the friction material of the cheby's was far better and would last longer then the aftermarket AMC offerings.
Take it for what it may be worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic