TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cluthc disc and pressure plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cluthc disc and pressure plate
    Posted: May/11/2021 at 3:38pm
well it looks like the alignment shop smoked my clutch and pressure plate..
does anybody know the replacement parts for a T10 74 amx.

Thanks in advance
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 4:15pm
you looking for the above or the parts to go into a T10?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 5:26pm
Not your job!
Tell them to have the car towed to a shop of your choice, resurface the flywheel, replace the clutch (look at Ram or Center Force), and the TOB.
Tell them you will pay for the new TOB as they are in there.
They broke it, they get it fixed.
The flywheel may need replacement if they heat cracked it. Easily done by a person that has no idea how to drive a standard.
The question should be, what is a local/reputable shop that can replace an AMC clutch.

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 5:47pm
I am needing to find the clutch disc and pressure plate.  i seem to remember they were centerforce and that i got them from summit but that was 8 years ago..
Does anybody have part numbers or even specs that i can look up?

Trader,
yes i know its their fault and they will pay to have it fixed.  However there is no shop in houston that works on any amc that i am aware of so i will end up doing it myself and billing them for it.
It wont need a throw out bearing as this clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and bearing have only 2 miles on them..I am praying that the flywheel only needs resurfacing as its a 343 and i had to have Hays make one for me and i understand that they dont make them anymore for this car.
I am just now getting around to finishing my car after a 4 year battle with cancer..

Thanks yall..
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 6:29pm
I don't use CF, the TOB should be 1491 and the clutch DF271739.
I do hear good things about Ram clutches. They offer the 50-2122 as a diagram clutch which I would highly recommend going to as we age!
TOB should be the same 1491 for 71 and up.

Advanced Clutch Technology JP1-HDSS is another option.

Wait and welcome others to provide opinions.

Edited by Trader - May/11/2021 at 6:31pm
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 7:53pm
I have a little time before i do this operation, so i would like more info
Why do you say not to use the centerforce and what brands are those
parts you refer to. 

Thanks
Barney
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 6:30am
i am in process of replacing a CF clutch due to throwout bearing failure. appeared to be faulty manufacturing, clutch had 10k miles.  I am going with a ram b&b style ( https://ramclutches.com/product/88499HDX/ )this clutch comes with the larger 1.40" throw out bearing. you will more than likley need a 1.30" throw out bearing the 1491 is the 1.30.  also I would recommend a new throwout bearing.

i think this is the cf clutch

-chris
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 7:45am
TOB
CF1489 - 1.416" ID, CF1491 - 1.313" ID, SKF N1491 - 1.416" ID, SKF N1701 - 1.317" ID
Measure your bearing retainer and you want approximately 0.020" clearance between the bearing retainer and your TOB ID.
I don't like the CF clutch as it has a balance mechanism that will sometimes mess up. If they made them like everyone else - neutral balance, without that extra bell and whistle, I would use them.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 9:09am
The CF pressure plate is neutral balanced; it does not change the balance of the rotating assembly.  I assume you mean the centrifugal weights, and you can remove them if you don't like them, but...

There are many, many positive reviews here for the CF DF clutch.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 9:54am
i am thinking that as my T10 is already set up for the centerforce that i will stay with that.. does anybody have the CF part numbers for the clutch disc and the pressure plate?

Thanks everybody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic