TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

clutch woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch woes
    Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 3:25pm
I got my project done but on my first ride the clutch started making noise sounds like a t-o bearing.  clutch has been in there a while so not surprising but I cannot find anyone in my area to replace it.  I do not have the right tools to do it myself.

starting to think twice abt my affection for sticks.

Edited by mdh157 - Nov/22/2021 at 5:29pm
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 4:29pm
What's a while?
If a clutch has been in a couple of years without driving, the flywheel may have corrosion in between the friction disks. May try riding the clutch, some harder launches, to see if it smooths out.
If it makes even more noise, then tear it down.

Picture it as a disk brake that has sat a long time and how they will rumble/grab until the corrosion has worn off the disk.
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 5:25pm
the car has only been sitting since June.  I imagine the clutch is at least 15 years old.  I did some work on it that was unrelated to the transmission.  it was working fine until then.  just got it done a few days ago and when I took it out I noticed it was making noise when rhe clutch is engaged.  it stops when the pedal is depressed.

Edited by mdh157 - Nov/22/2021 at 5:28pm

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 8:02pm
Making noise when the clutch is engaged would be the throw out bearing not adjusted (still riding the fingers), fork not located correctly or the clutch itself.
I'd be looking at the adjustment first.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 8:33pm
You say the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Do you mean it goes away when you fully depress the clutch pedal ?
Or it goes away when you just put your foot on the pedal , and the pedal just goes down maybe a quarter inch or so ? 

Edited by tyrodtom - Nov/22/2021 at 8:36pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 9:31pm
Changing or replacing a clutch / throw out bearing is not a complicated procedure . With the right tools and instruction it can be done in a day or two . TSM,s and friends come in handy in times like these .
Donohue
Pop Tro View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pop Tro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 8:22am
MDH could you kinda explain the noise and what position the pedal is at. Sometimes if they run long periods without freeplay the grease will melt out of the bearing and you hear the balls clanking around till you push the pedal down.But being ok in june and noise now seems odd.   Tro
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

You say the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Do you mean it goes away when you fully depress the clutch pedal ?
Or it goes away when you just put your foot on the pedal , and the pedal just goes down maybe a quarter inch or so ? 

the noise disappears only when the clutch is disengaged, maybe halfway down to the floor.  same thing when driving, present until I push it down to shift, then momentarily gone until I engage again.

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 5:18pm
does it make this noise when in neutral with the foot off the clutch?
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

does it make this noise when in neutral with the foot off the clutch?

Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic