TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch Fork Refurbishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Fork Refurbishing
    Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 6:50am
I just completed these 4 OEM Clutch Forks for an AMC'er from Texas.

I removed the worn pins, cleaned the fork bodies, machined 8 new engagement pins from SAE 1144, aka stress-proof, rated at 100,000 PSI yield strength. 
Installed new pins .003"-.004" press-fit with Locktite and tested on a release-bearing to ensure correct fit and pivot action. 
Two of the forks had scarred-up pockets where the end of the adjustable rod engages the fork so I touched them up with a ball-nose end mill to get the jagged bits removed, giving the 2 pockets a new contact surface; without removing an excessive amount of material. 
Also, one fork had a slightly bent pin arm which I straightened to ensure both engagement pins were aligned to each other.

These 4 forks were in relatively good condition, mostly only requiring the worn-out pins to be replaced.

The forks are held in a proper fixture I made specifically for repairing these clutch forks.

Price per refurbishing an OEM clutch fork is $ 65.00 US$ plus return shipping. The price is fair considering it takes a strong 1.5 hr. to do 1 fork, from start to finish. Added bonus, they're gonna fit and work like they did when newly installed from the factory. 
Just an FYI, I have 44 yrs. in the Machining and Industrial Repair industry. I started my apprenticeship in 1976 and rec'd my trade papers in 1981, but I digress. 

As some of you have already discovered, many of the repopped clutch forks do not fit/work. 
I also bought one of the reproduction ones and my $ 29.95 + shipping and the time spent trying to get it installed was a waste of time and money....nothing works better then a properly refurbished OEM clutch fork, or a NOS part, if you can find one.

Any interest, kindly PM me.

Edited by 70RebelGeezer - Nov/14/2020 at 10:41am
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:03am
Ron,

I just happened to be looking in the product announcements section when your post popped up.

Thank you, and especially you, for taking on this desperately needed service. My very first experience ever with AMC's was fixing a boogered up clutch linkage where the wear on the clutch fork pins was a major contributor. 

Rounding up my original clutch forks now.

Will advise when I'm shipping them to you.

Rich Corsello
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:31am
Long overdue service! Thanx..
txamx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:55am
Great work Ron. This is a big help to the AMC hobby!
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 10:33am
We are blessed to have a  good crossection of talented ,dedicated AMCers in our community here !

Rich Corsello
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 9:36pm
Absolutely the best stuff available! No substitutes
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 10:28pm
Have you ever thought about doing hood hinges..?? 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Huh? What? View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huh? What? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 7:19pm
Hey are you still selling these throw out bearing arms?
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Huh? What? Huh? What? wrote:

Hey are you still selling these throw out bearing arms?

Yes, I'm still in the business of re-pinning customer's throw-out bearing forks. I don't have any completed ones for sale.
'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 11:28am
Hi Mike,
First off, I'd lube the TOB Fork's Pins with the trans gear oil as that won't foul-up things like it would if you used grease. The only grease-like product that will mix with oils happens to be Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Even the older Cadillac Service Manuals recommends Vaseline to pack an oil pump with for start-up of a rebuilt engine. But if you use the same oil as the trans oil, you can't go too far wrong.

Here's your Valve Cover Tag, for your approval....sorry for the sideways view.
 I was able to calculate that your car was on the assembly line during the morning shift on Monday, Dec. 29, 1969.
Once having that date, I back-track for 8 business days, which is my normal time lapse to come up with a "most probable date" give or take a day or 2. As I mentioned before, this has allowed me to get extremely close to what the original VC Tag would "most probably" have read.
Therefore the 212X17 code for your engine's construction date.

I also have a shipping cost for you which includes, Expedited with Tracking # and Insurance, for an even $ 30.00.

The amount on the postage sticker may be slightly different then that $30.00 but that's because there's a "fuel surcharge' that all delivery companies add to their shipping quotes but don't actually add to the printed-off quote, I add that on from past experiences. If there's a dollar or two discrepancy, I just eat that, it saves on extra messing around for such a small amount. That's all caused because that fuel surcharge fluctuates, never downward either, at least not in our country. Even during the worst of the shut-downs, when fuel was priced lower, they still kept tacking-on, like our gov't likes to do...squeeze the last cent out of us.

Anyway, your total is as follows: 
2 clutch forks re-pinned.. = $ 150.00
1 Valve Cover tag........... = $  80.00
Tracked/Insured Shipping.= $  30.00
Grand Total....................= $ 260.00 delivery is an estimated 8-10 business days.

Kindly mail your payment (personal check or Money Order) to:
Ron Fawthrop
9 Regent St.,
Amherst, Nova Scotia
Canada  B4H3S6

'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>