TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Citric Acid for rust removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citric Acid for rust removal
    Posted: Mar/18/2022 at 9:14pm
Folks,

I have been using a citric acid solution to derust various pieces of hardware and small parts for the past few months.  It works great at room temperature.   You can buy citric acid granules or powder from many sources on the net.   I just mix it by guess and by golly about a quarter or a pound to a gallon or two of tap water.  If the solution works too slow for me, I add a little more of the dry powder and stir.  Not only does it remove rust, I preserves the phosphate finish on some parts.  It brightens aluminum and copper to look like new.  I have soaked electrical switches in it to remove corrosion.  Typically it requires a few hours or an overnight soak.  Beats Evaporust and is cheaper as the mixed solution.  Beats electrolysis becuase you don't need the apparatus.  I'm sold on it.  Get some and try it.  You can mix it a tote or a bucket depending on the size of the parts you need to soak.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2022 at 2:11am
I’ve used white vinegar with the same results. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2022 at 12:10pm
One thing I didn't mention about citric acid is that it often (not always) preserves the black phosphate finish on hardware if it was installed that way.  Having used citric acid a while now I am discovering that there was quite of bit of AMC hardware installed with the black oil and phosphate finish.  
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 11:40am
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 8:53pm
I have tried citric acid on both ferrous metals and anodized aluminum.  It works dependably good on ferrous metals.  The nuts, bolts and other hardware come clean overnight and they do not tend to rust right away after a thorough hot water rinse.  I usually let them dry in sunlight and shoot WD-40 on them if I am not planning to primer or paint them right away.  I need to make a long tube (pipe with caps) to soak long items like the rear window regulator "shoe" from my classic station wagon.  It is too long for my blast cabinet too.   Joe
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2022 at 7:58am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Same, a bath of White Vinegar will clean stuff up perfect. I did a full rusty intake and it came out perfect.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2022 at 8:23am
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

Same, a bath of White Vinegar will clean stuff up perfect. I did a full rusty intake and it came out perfect.

If left too long vinegar will start eating the base metal. Have to be careful.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

If left too long vinegar will start eating the base metal. Have to be careful.

For sure, I use for heavy thick metal...small stuff will just disintegrate if left too long 
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic