TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Chinese York Compressor Knock-offs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 11:23am
All Javelin and AMX used the York R210L (left hand suction). Not sure about other AMC passenger cars, but looks like Jeeps were R210R (right hand suction).  Ford used both.

Left or right designation is determined by looking at the compressor from the front, so left is the passenger side.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/26/2019 at 11:26am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 6:55pm
Is it simply a matter of flipping the head and the valve plate to swap discharge and suction sides? No difference in the compressor housing/body?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:02pm
Body is the same. You may need to pull the roll pin from the housing after the head and plate are removed (unless it snaps off when you remove the top pieces). No big deal. Just line it up and torque to spec/sequence. 
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:07pm
There's a torque spec for the compressor head? Where would I find this info ? I ordered a new repop York from APD but I think I'd like to pull my original and now noisy York compressor apart to find out what's going wrong ? I have one or two old trashed compressors and I was thinking I may be able to make repairs to the noisy one. I have not found any repair or rebuilding information on the internet. The TSM only mentions changing the head and the valve plate.

Edited by george w - Sep/10/2019 at 7:18pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:12pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:19pm
Bill, Thanks for the links. I'll read them both. I did find a torque spec in the TSM for the head bolts.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:24pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 7:38pm
Read the above manuals. Still a bit unclear as to the proper amount of oil to add to the new compressor to bring it to the proper level for a system that is charged and has had oil circulating within. The AMC TSM says the compressor is initially filled with 7 ounces. Using the dipstick wire it appears that's about 1" of depth in the crankcase.
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 11:14am
Not an expert here and I've slept since doing this, but my research indicated that while the head would reverse (if you throw away the line-up pins) the internals are indeed not the same on both sides. Visually there was an oil passage difference inside. So, my Javelin has "right side suction" instead of left as was factory original. And the A/C industry calls left or right side based on standing in front of the car looking at the compressor.

Bill, where are you on the "just reverse the head" debate (although I seem to be the only one debating it!)?

Hal
Hal Souers
Indiana
AMO Classified Editor

<font color=RED>In search of red Matador Barcelona sedan in EXCELLENT condition! [/COLOR]
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 12:30pm
I have not reversed a head, nor would I suggest it at this point. I have 3 or 4 laying around here I could check out to be sure - but there is a factory oil passage that goes to the suction side. 
If you revers things suddenly that oil passage is on the discharge side - a much higher pressure. 
Would that pressurize the crankcase? I think some have said it would or could and lead to troubles. 

I have at least two books dedicated totally to automotive AC - one outlines rebuilding or repairing every AC compressor ever made and used in automotive up to 1973 (one of my college books) and it doesn't detail such things but all of the AC books I have make note of how to align the head. 

Frankly I would find it a lot easier on AMCs to move the hose connections over if a compressor is used where they are reversed. 
It's the sort of system I've not wanted to experiment on because of the time it takes to get them clean, evacuated, charged, and so on - never wanted to do it twice if I could avoid it!  ;-)

If I got a chance at some point, I was thinking of popping the heads off a couple of the compressors I have. Also - to check to see if they are York - or Tecumseh, which can look like a York depending on model. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic