TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Chevy 12 rear end?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy 12 rear end?
    Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 12:06pm
Hey guys, my new project car appears to have the Chevy 12 bolt rear end in it. The guy I bought it off of yanked the Ls motor and trans that was it out for a Camaro. So I would assume why there's the Chevy rear end. 

I Don't know much about these rear ends. Are they decent? I would assume they're ok since it was behind an Ls motor. How much will it mess with my 360/T-5 set up I'm putting in the car? Good, bad, uglies on this rear end? Pros? Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by raser13 - Oct/19/2021 at 12:37pm
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 1:57pm
The 1969 Camaro ZL1 427 V8/430 hp, 450 ft lb, 12.0:1 compression, 1/4 mile @13.1 @110 mph. The ZL1 ran a posi in the strongest axle Chevy could fit which was the 12 bolt. The ZL1 actually had over 500 hp.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 3:05pm
12 bolt will handle most anything you put to it  you will not break it. next stronger is a Dana 60 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 7:50pm
If it's a Chevy 12 bolt it's strong,
 only bad points are C-clips,
 and it's probably a 5 on 4.75" bolt circle unless someone redrilled it, or got aftermarket axles in AMC/Ford/Chrysler 5 0n 4.5".

12 Bolt Buick/Olds/Pontiac rears may have smaller 10 bolt internals,
 so watch out for that.

You can probably sell a real Chevy 12 bolt to a Chevy guy for decent money,
and get the same strength in a cheaper Ford 8.8" that has the right 5 on 4.5" wheel pattern.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 10:15pm
It is a good rear end. You would have to carry 2 spare tires or maybe a wheel adapter if it will work. Or don’t get a flat tire.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

You would have to carry 2 spare tires or maybe a wheel adapter if it will work. Or don’t get a flat tire.
Or do what I do, which is to use a dual-pattern wheel for the spare.

I do this with a repro Chevy "Rally" wheel, which I originally got for my '57 Chevy, but which I now also use for my Spirit. It's an unusual size, 16x6, which I chose so it'd fit the big brakes AND still fit into the well in the trunk.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 1:40am
Actually both the front and the back has been converted to 5 X 5 so I only need one spare. I just have to find a new break line that can go from the stock attachment to the hard line and the Wildwood set up that has relocated the calipers onto the front of the rotor. 

Is there an easy conversion from drums to disk brakes on the Chevy 12 bolt?
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 6:17am
It's a Chevy - a quick internet search will get you more options than you will care to look at.  Summit Racing has multiple levels of performance/options available in stock.
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by raser13 raser13 wrote:

Actually both the front and the back has been converted to 5 X 5 so I only need one spare. I just have to find a new break line that can go from the stock attachment to the hard line and the Wildwood set up that has relocated the calipers onto the front of the rotor. 

Is there an easy conversion from drums to disk brakes on the Chevy 12 bolt?

Just curious... how was that done on the front? Redrill the rotors? 
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 8:24pm
5x5 is kind of odd, used in full size GM. Doubt anyone makes a rotor for rear discs.
Most folks move up to a 9"or 8.8" Ford from a 12 bolt.

Ron. 
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic