TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cheap mechanical fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cralph216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap mechanical fuel pump
    Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 8:24am
Hello all,

I have a 64 rambler American with the OHV 196. It used to run super reliably but then it had to sit for a while (4-5 years). Now it doesn't want to keep running. I want to rebuild the carb and fuel pump as well as a few upgrades but I don't want to be down and out while I wait for parts and time and what not. For now I was just looking to see if anyone has used a cheap Amazon fuel pump and which one. I don't take it anywhere far so I'm not horribly worried about quality. Just want a backup for now. Any suggestions?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 9:15am
Cheap? The one you have is.  If you want a working fuel pump,  spend the money
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 11:39am
 The last OHV engine was built in 1965. That was 58 years ago. This isn't the 1970's where auto stores are trying to sell off their "ancient" AMC 196 engine parts. Even the Mega Warehouse Rock Auto doesn't list a fuel pump available.

They are likely available at AMC specific vendors but I doubt 'cheap' would be a word for what they would cost. The 'cheap' Amazon fuel pump would be one of the $15 electric pumps. It requires plumbing and wiring in. For safety people wire them into an inertia or oil pressure switch.  If you go that route put it close to the tank. They push better than they pull.
'63 American Hardtop
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 5:43pm
I got one of the last 196 fuel pumps about 8 to 10 years ago. The only thing you do is have the pump rebuilt. Best to send it out too, and that is not cheap. LRDaum

LRDaum
cralph216 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cralph216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 6:43am
yea, I'm going to rebuild it and try a few upgrades. It's not an incredible challenge but i was hoping for something i could slap two bolts on and run until i get the time to search for an inexpensive kit and rebuild since time and money are limited. I may just need to go the rebuild route. 
cralph216 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cralph216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 6:47am
rockauto has a pump for the OHV for the classic but not the American if i remember correctly. I am not sure what the difference is, but it was more than i can spend right now. I have an electric pump that someone put on the car when it was restored years a go (by a hack). I was worried that it wouldnt feed enough under heavy acceleration. The mechanical pump would be regulated by engine rpms. how does an electric fuel pump receive a signal to increase flow under heavy acceleration? It looks like a simple power line and that's it. Obnoxiously loud too that thing.

Thank you!
cralph216 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cralph216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 6:48am
I had it rebuilt once. it wasnt horrible but that was B.C. (before child) i am not quite as flush as a single 20 year old living with my parents! That's the life of old cars i guess
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 5:47pm
Do you have vacuum wipers? 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2023 at 11:19am
I just checked and Rock Auto does "claim" to have  196 OHV fuel pump (for a Classic but not a American - by application). However, they state it is for 1965 and upward engines. So, I doubt it is actually for a 196 OHV but rather a 232. They also stated it is the "last one." I'd be suspect to that even if it was the correct pump. "Last One" at Rock Auto often means a defective return. Lastly at  $161.79 it is far from a 'cheap' item.

Using an electric fuel pump is the only 'cheap' option. Ebay is chock full of $15-$20 electric pumps. They do bolt in with "two bolts." You will need new fuel hose (the old stuff is likely hardened and brittle). You will need two more hose clamps and additional hose to bypass the mechanical pump (bout 3 ft. total). At a minimum you will need to run a wire to a switch (ignition "run" should suffice) but more ideal would be a separate switch and relay that shuts off with the ignition. And as I mentioned above you really should have a inertia or oil pressure switch in case the car gets in an accident.

The wiring could be as inexpensive as stuff you have lying around, to surplus store switches, relays etc. (about $15) to buying new and likely $50-$75. Sorry the image looks so bad. Not sure why. Info is as stated above in my post.

Edited by wittsend - May/02/2023 at 11:24am
'63 American Hardtop
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2023 at 8:15am
Did you ever resolve this? I'm having fuel pump compatibility issues on my 199, I also have the rebuilt pump from my 196 if you're interested but its the one for vacuum wipers. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic