TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Charge Wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charge Wire
    Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 1:28pm
Ok....i'm not an electrician so I have a question.

On my race car I decided to add a 55 amp alternator for convenience.

I have a 8 gauge wire running directly from the post on the mini alternator straight to the battery.

I figured stranded 8 gauge wire would put me in the range I needed.

I need to protect this circuit and I am guessing a fusible link in about 10 gauge ????? would be appropriate installed in-line close to the battery ?

The battery is one of the new lithium ion car batteries that weigh 7 pounds and from what I hear they can be a huge fire hazard if something gets shorted as they will discharge a large load very fast ??

Saving 40 pounds off the race car is a sizeable amount of weight.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 1:38pm
Curcuit braker is best, but a simple inline fuse will work.

Being a short run, a fusable link would need to be much smaller gauge than the wire on the output of the alternator. Fusable links operate on internal resistance against the current being drawn by the circuit.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 2:13pm
For your 55 amp application #10 is a reasonable choice up to about 8' or so.  Longer than that you'd be better off with #8.

Conventional wisdom says that a fusible link should be 4 less than the wire protected.  Now that's not four wire gauges less, 4 less.  For your #10 wire that would be a #14 fusible link.  What people sometimes forget is that a fusible link is not there to protect the equipment, it is there to protect the harness.  That is why fusible link sizing is based on protected wire gauge, not ampacity.

For your concern I agree with 304-dude, a fuse or manually reset circuit breaker would be a better choice.  You can find all kinds of conflicting advice about sizing breakers but I like 125% of rating.  For you that would be about 70 amps.

Remember, this is all my opinion, worth just what you paid for it. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 2:54pm
Another note. Fusable link will heat up, so make sure you have a true fusable link cable, they have silicone jacketing and made to melt inside, due to the metals used. They should be designed around a 2 to 3 inch section, not a foot or more. Premade fusable links can be 12 awg for 70Amp to 130Amp rating, for a short length. If you cut a link, your increasing the amount of current capability. A 100 Amp link can be made into a 200 am link by halving it equally.

125% of the rated output is more conservative, most designs are 150% or higher if the peak current can jump. Similar like AC lines, as they are unfiltered/unregulated. But that is with other devices like A/C fan motors with its fusable link.

Driving motorized fans, are best done with fusable links, as they may trip a fuse or breaker by inductance kick back. 125% x the amperage should be fine for a fuse, or breaker. If pushing max current for extended time frames, 150% rating will keep the breaker fresher through its life time. Internally they will run a wee warm if too small for the current rating on extended max current.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/13/2021 at 2:58pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 3:10pm
To be more specific I did use an #8 wire and the length is 12 feet.

So to make sure I understand, I can use either a #12 fusible link or a inline fuse or breaker with a
rating of 70 amps.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 3:30pm
One more thing to consider: If your circuit protection triggers for some reason, a fuse can by easily replaced, a breaker can be easily reset, but a fusible link will take time to repair; time you may not have at the track.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

To be more specific I did use an #8 wire and the length is 12 feet.

So to make sure I understand, I can use either a #12 fusible link or a inline fuse or breaker with a
rating of 70 amps.

Yes.  If you use a circuit breaker, don't get the self-resetting variety, that is defeating the purpose.  As far as a fuse versus a fusible link as bigbad points out, if something happens a fuse is easier to replace.

Edited by 6PakBee - Sep/13/2021 at 4:12pm
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 4:21pm
The only reason why one would go with a fusable link, is for racing. Depending on its location, in relation to a ground issue during a collision, from metal penetrating the wire or a direct short from alternator damage. Battery power will be much greater and could end up shorting out a circuit breaker. Some have welded closed under a sudden high current condition. A fusable link will fail, guaranteed. Fuses and circuit breakers are very small, and could be bypassed by metal contact within the localized area.

That will give you enough to deturmine what works best for your needs and requirements. All of the above will work, though you will need to figure out which will be safest under vehical damage. It all goes within where you locate and mount, while making the best for isolation.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic