TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cast crankshaft and connecting rods for racing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74jmill_jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast crankshaft and connecting rods for racing
    Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 6:02pm
Is anyone running the cast crankshaft and connecting rods on a javelin and doing well racing? I’m about to rebuild my 304, and curious if I should invest in forged connecting rods, or if the cast ones will work just fine for track courses and autocross? Curious to everyone’s thoughts! Thanks! 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 6:14pm
Stock class? I thrashed on my stock 304 running max RPMs (4600 to 4700) limited by stock valve springs. Only ate on valve on a max rpm blip / shut down. Never had a problem, after changing my head only. If changing to solid lifter or roller cam, then be careful and have it balanced and yada, yada, yada. I would not push beyond 6500 for long term racing use on cast rods. Buick and AMC have some good stuff in their basic v8 blocks. Key is getting the work done for race perposes. Mild porting, Chevy 305 valves, should being some good results without spending extra for whatcha got. Though cost wise, it is cheaper to go to a 360, as it weighs the same and allows for more effective power with a little extra cost, mostly in obtaining an engine.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
74jmill_jav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74jmill_jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 6:19pm
Thanks for the tips! What exactly did you do to your heads and block? And how much horsepower do you think you were pushing from your engine? I understand that I can’t buy aftermarket aluminum heads for the 304, but I can for the 360. I’m still deciding what to do—- buy the 360 or work on the 304 that came with the car. There is something cool to me about being competitive in a smaller engine car....
I’m not sure of what class... I just know that I want to have some track fun with my 74 Javelin and be as competitive as possible with it.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 7:06pm
Mine was a stock engine, with dual exhaust, Holley 650 spread bore with some mods for 304 engine drivability, which were smaller jets, higher plenum (used 1" ported spacer) an Offy spread bore 360 (rare to find these days). Engine was factory rated at 150hp. I assume I got 220 out of it. Though I changed to a Mopar 8-3/4" rear out of a Cornet 500 with 2.76 gears, for highway cruising speeds. Topped out above 138MPH. A Ford Probe GT has a factory speed limit at 138MPH could not pass me as my RPM was maxed at 4700 in drive. Oh I did have a cowl hood, no rear spoiler. Cowl hood added, extra aero, and nose stability. Never floated at any speed. Very stable, considering I used factory 14" X rally wheels with G60 tires.

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/23/2020 at 7:16pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74jmill_jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 7:52pm
What’s the deal with Chevy valves? Why are they better than the stock amc?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by 74jmill_jav 74jmill_jav wrote:

What’s the deal with Chevy valves? Why are they better than the stock amc?

If your racing, for higher than stock rpm use, the 305 valves are a wee larger, for better breathing. A cam and lifter set, will require the head work done. Also if you go with a hugh lift cam, if your heads, have bridged rocker arms, you will need to run LS rockers on machined pedistals, or obtain early 304 heads (70 - 72) with stud mounted rockers.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 9:55pm
It might be that the Chevy Valves are just lower cost due to production volume.
Same Stem Diameter and nominal overall Stem Length, and pretty much head diameter basically.
IF having heads re-worked, my logic was new valve guides, so go smaller to 11/32 stem dia.,
valves are lighter, and there are 'undercut' available once again due commonality with sbc stuff.
Although I long ago that is the logic I went with at the time and deviated and got / used 1.68 exhaust.
At the time Si Valves had both available and reasonably priced, 2.02 & 1.68, 11/32 stem, 4.910 Long iirc.
Rods... understanding is it is a matter of cycles and a fatigue failure...  the stock AMC parts are pretty good, but it comes down to how many cycles are on them.  But others here are much more better informed and experienced on that than I am.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74jmill_jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 7:16am
Ok- so I bought a new “Sealed Power” performance cam for the 304. It came with new lifters and rods. Should I just buy the Chevy 305 valves, or get the stock ones polished? It sounds like the Chevy ones might be the way to go... any suggestions on what exactly to buy since I have no clue the compatibility differences between my 1974 304, and a Chevy?Confused
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by 74jmill_jav 74jmill_jav wrote:

Ok- so I bought a new “Sealed Power” performance cam for the 304. It came with new lifters and rods. Should I just buy the Chevy 305 valves, or get the stock ones polished? It sounds like the Chevy ones might be the way to go... any suggestions on what exactly to buy since I have no clue the compatibility differences between my 1974 304, and a Chevy?Confused

Being sure to get quality springs for the lift requirements of the cam. Too light on pressure will cause dropping of the valve, from valve float.

Stock 304/360 springs, are not that good for performance. Though I was able to barely run them with stock setup. Probably would have gotten more hp, if I had bumped the spring pressure to 15# by a wee shim or two on the stock cam.

As for Chevy valves... the engine guy will oversize the valve seats, while doing minor porting. Don't go ape poo, just clean up and smooth. There are tricks of the trade with contouring, which if not familiar with amc heads, could ruin your set, even though they look cleanly done.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 12:21pm
The Chevy valves is an old engine trick, as the Chevy valves are one once lighter then the AMC valve , so you get one pound off your valve train. The Chevy valves are also cheaper and easier to get. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic