TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter Fuel pump on 304

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78304CJ-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter Fuel pump on 304
    Posted: May/02/2021 at 7:12pm
Good evening folks. Wow haven't posted to an AMC forum for decades. I was a long time member at the old AMC forum back in the early 2000's. Not sure if this is a morph of that old forum or a spin off. My old account seems to be no longer. "Fuzz 401", "The Thing" and many others were often on that forum.  So here goes it. 

I have what appears to be a carter mechanical fuel pump on my 304. I can't get the model number off it as it's still on the engine with plenty of AMC grime on it. I can see "made in the USA" so that a good thing. It looks very similar to the one show below. Recently I started it up and noticed excess fuel coming out of the small hole that is about 3/16" diameter in the top casting. The other side has a plug installed (looks like a freeze plug). I have seen some of these pumps with a nipple at this location, for what, I'm not sure. I freshened up this engine in about 2003 with a crane RV cam and new springs, valve seals and an edelbrock intake and 4bbl carb. It's always run well and the engine is quite tight with 42K original miles on it. I pulled the return line off the fuel filter thinking perhaps that was clogged causing excess back pressure. I blew air through it and could hear bubbles in the tank. Seems to be clear. The pump is pumping plenty of fuel, I diverted the return line to a 1g milk jug and plenty of fuel came out. Thanks for any input ahead of time! 

-RJ

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 7:26pm
If you're looking for a replacement Carter, it's an M4656.
78304CJ-7 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78304CJ-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 7:40pm
Thanks, I just hit that one up on Amazon. Definitely looks different then the one I have, most interesting. Also if the reviews are any indication it sounds like carter has drifted down hill recently in terms of quality. Would it be best to rebuild this one? I'm sure I have spares packed away in storage with all my other AMC stuff but won't be too easy to get to it for another year or so. 

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 7:54pm
If it looks a little different there's a possibility it was the long since discontinued HP version.
As far as those spares, if they had gas in them, those are cores.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 5:58am
The castings changed over the years. As long as the pump arm looks like it will hit the cam lobe and pump you should be fine. Pump arm shapes have varied over the years also, so it my not look exactly like the old one either.
Frank Swygert
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 6:16am
Don't waste your time on the new version.  The internal pump arm isn't properly or possibly not even hardened and the arm is failing.    Rebuild your old one.  Just buy a new kit.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

Don't waste your time on the new version.  The internal pump arm isn't properly or possibly not even hardened and the arm is failing.    Rebuild your old one.  Just buy a new kit.

Link to kit?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 8:49am
Don't know it off hand.  Just cruise over to AZ AMC Restorations on FB and see the entire article of the issues they've had and what they are working on to correct it.

78304CJ-7 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78304CJ-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 10:27am
Well I tried to post a photo of my pump but apparently I don't have enough points to go about doing that (yet ). Not sure if I can PM it to one of you folks and perhaps you can post it? 
This pump is ~20 years old I would guess. 

Thanks for the input so far guys 

Hey Farna, I'm just outside Columbia SC. 

-RJ
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

Don't know it off hand.  Just cruise over to AZ AMC Restorations on FB and see the entire article of the issues they've had and what they are working on to correct it.

Don't have a Fakebook account.  Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic