TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

car lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car lift
    Posted: Jul/03/2016 at 9:54am
The dannmar maxjax portable two post lift is a great piece of equipment to have in your garage. I bought it several years ago, but just installed it. My gremlin fits perfectly on arms. Pushed the car right up to 46" with great room to work on the car. Now that I am older and tired of crawling under the car, this is great for me. Costly, but worth not laying on cement floor. Resale value is good also. I did use grade 8 bolts to anchor to floor. Nice to see my tires off the cement floor.
72 jolly green gremlin X
79amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 8:35pm
I always tell people my lift is the best tool I ever bought. I have a four post Direct lift in my garage that my 6'1" son can walk and work under with no problems. It beats working on your back any day. Bought it from Greg Smith equipment out of Indiana.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 5:43pm
I have been thinking of one too. I like this for the portablilty. Does it have to be anchored? not sure by the description but suppose I could install inserts in my concrete floor
gremlin 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 7:31am
Yes, the columns have 5 spots each for anchoring. When you set the anchors below or even with the cement floor, they are not a tripping over problem. I did drill other holes for one side further out for my larger vehicle. About 5-8 minutes to move column. The column has 2 wheels at base for moving. All hoses are quick disconnects. Trans fluid for hydraulics. I have a chair creeper to sit on while under car. I'm now removing the rearend with a trans jack. So far so good compared to my old way(on the concrete).
72 jolly green gremlin X
raceral View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raceral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 6:17pm
They say you need a 4 1/2 inch thick concrete floor as well as rebar. I don't think most home garages are that thick, and/or rebar, how critical is it, are they just covering themselves or does it really need it.
How thick are the floors you guys have that have this systems when you drilled the holes?

Al
1969 390 AMX Black,leather, air, 8-Track, auto...
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by raceral raceral wrote:

They say you need a 4 1/2 inch thick concrete floor as well as rebar. I don't think most home garages are that thick, and/or rebar, how critical is it, are they just covering themselves or does it really need it.
How thick are the floors you guys have that have this systems when you drilled the holes?

Al

I could be wrong, but I think that's true for the two-post lifts only.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

JKJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 8:11pm
I've had my Eagle 4 post for 3 years now, and it's one of the best things I've done. I don't have it anchored and it's fine for what I use it for. I spent about a year really checking into lifts before deciding on the one I bought. There are a lot of things to consider: length, width (consider the track of your tires- you don't want them right on the edge), height, type of ramps, voltage, type of ladder locks and more. Almost all 'hobby' lifts are made in China, and I hated that, and most of them copy from each other.
JK
raceral View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raceral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by raceral raceral wrote:

Al

I could be wrong, but I think that's true for the two-post lifts only.

Sorry I didn't make my post very clear, I was actually referring my question to the fellows that have the two post maxjax.

Al
gremlin 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2016 at 8:43pm
I measured the thickness of the cement floor to be 3 1/2" thick. The anchors set within that thickness. I do not have any rebar in my concrete. The anchors are very large, with great gripping power. So far, nothing has moved. I can get some pictures on here if anyone would like to see how it is bolted down. Mike B.
72 jolly green gremlin X
raceral View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raceral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2016 at 2:55pm
Thanks Mike.

I don't recall how thick my floor is, I think I have photos somewhere of when it was first poured. Just can't remember as it has been 14 years, and like others I am getting too old and stiff to lay on cement to fiddle with the car.
I like the idea of the Maxjax as I only have an eight foot ceiling. Sitting down is better than laying down.

Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic