TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam upgrade in the 1978 360

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam upgrade in the 1978 360
    Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 8:51pm
I’m looking at a cam replacement, the comp cams High Energy 212/212 Hydraulic Flat Cam for AMC 290-401 seems like a good enough for my casual driver. Has vlv lift of 0.447” I/E Both.
Or 
High Energy 218/218 Hydraulic Flat Cam for AMC 290-401 Has vlv lift of 0.458”
Not positive I can get away with the second cam spec usage with stock t-converter..
So need to know a few things here from experiences.
I intend to use use my stock torque converter.

And will either one cam work with OEM geometry-Bridge Rockers ?
Will be doing this with a vlv job at same time, The shop verifies the spring bind clearances once I know which one I can use.
Thx
Rob Wiley
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 9:38pm
With bridge rocker, stock springs and valves, you can go to 0.500" [0.510" is posted on some cam manufacturer sites] if you keep it under 5200 RPM.
The stock torque converter is around 1800 RPM stall so you want a cam that is in the starting range of 1600 RPM to get full use of lower end torque.
So my opinion would be to look for 1600 to 5400 RPM range and go a little conservative 0.480" lift max.
A little more exhaust vs intake duration for an AMC is good. Overlap should be held under 30 degrees or you get into what I'm finding lately, pre ignition, do to fuel and too much vacuum advance.
Opinion is pump gas is not going to get better so reducing overlap will help in the longer term for tuning.

RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 10:50pm
This perfect reply I was hoping to get, thx
Very appreciated.

Rob Wiley
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 10:56pm
This would be the max cam I'd put in, a little high on the exhaust lift, but nice specs overall and a quality manufacturer, as far as I last heard:
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:48pm
I like the idea of the 112 LSA for manifolds vacuum. Though of 114 as for a little better idle pupouse.
Comp cam as they will grind about any spec I can throw at it like this with a little few adjustments on it.
Not sure crower work with ppl like CC does.
Rob Wiley
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 9:06am
Just ensure when you order that they understand that this is for a 0.904" lifter and you will be expecting a lifter lobe width no less then 0.520". A "Chevy" blank will end up with a 0.480" lobe width for an 0.874" lifter.
Many manufacturers just get off shore blanks that are for the masses. That is not what you want in your AMC.
Just try searching for a supplier that lists their lobe widths. You end up having to talk to them and get assurances from them that they are making cams specifically for the AMC/Chrysler lobe widths.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic