TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BW M11 auto trans dipstick tube bracket location
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M11 auto trans dipstick tube bracket location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW M11 auto trans dipstick tube bracket location
    Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 7:28pm
Okay, dumb question - is the Borg Warner M11 automatic transmission dipstick tube bracket in the photo below in the correct location, or does it need to be moved up to the threaded hole next to the freeze plug in the head?

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/19/2021 at 9:17pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 7:38pm
Pretty sure it was on the rear exhaust manifold bolt sticking out to the side from the factory.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 8:31pm
Mine was bolted to the closest trans bell housing bolt.

-Steve-
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 9:10pm
The bracket I have I’m being told is correct (it’s off a ‘69 Javelin w/ a 390/M12) and it measures 3-3/4” from the 90 deg. bend to the center of the large hole where the tube goes through. I mocked it up to the outside of the exhaust manifold and with the thickness of the manifold flange plus the length of the bracket I’d have to bend my tube ~4” or so to the RH side of the car. That doesn’t seem right - the tube as you see it in the first photo is with the compression fitting tight on the trans pan and it doesn’t appear that anyone has bent it previously. Comparing it to other tubes it also appears to be the correct shape. Bolting it to the bell housing may be a bit more feasible, but I think I’d still have to bend the tube, just perhaps not as much. 

This should be simple and it’s eating my lunch. If it helps, this is for a ‘69 AMX, in case there’s a difference in tubes or brackets between models. 

Here’s a photo of my bracket:

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/19/2021 at 9:50pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 9:14pm
It's the little (sic) stuff that makes you nuts.

Can't help with the V8 (though the pretty one in that photo appears correct, since the tube passes through perfectly perpendicular to the bracket, no other location would do that with that bracket). 

On my six, the tube, attached to the trans pan, limits the range of locations to an arc. It attaches to the rear-most spark coil pbracket boss. There, there's a slight range of bracket rotations possible, but the "correct" one seems to be the one that allows the tube to pass as your photo shows; perpendicular, and no force applied to the tube.

Edited by tomj - Nov/19/2021 at 9:16pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 1:35am
I'm going to say it should go to the last exhaust manifold bolt as well, but I have modified mine to use that bolt hole on the back of the head too.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 6:36am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I'm going to say it should go to the last exhaust manifold bolt as well, but I have modified mine to use that bolt hole on the back of the head too.

Yours is RHD, correct? Did you have to modify it for that reason? 

Anyway, that’s the thing, I’d have to modify the bracket and/or the angle of the tube to attach it to the last bolt on the exhaust manifold. And then it would stick out ~4” or so. This is the second bracket I’ve had and it’s identical in shape to the first - the first one I broke trying to bend it due to corrosion/pitting. Tube doesn’t appear to have been modified.  I’m not getting it.

Does anyone have a photo of their setup that they could post? 

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/20/2021 at 6:59am
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 2:00pm
Sent you PM
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 8:44pm
Rear exhaust manifold bolt.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Rozwell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 3:12pm
1968 AMX with M11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic