TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Built AMC 401 Value??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 6:48pm
yeah, there is ~15% HP loss at 5k feet.  3% per 1000 ft above sea level is a good estimate.  And turbo engines are not immune to this either.  And don't argue, look it up; the available octane drops at higher  elevations so unless you truck in a tanker of 93 octane and have a custom tuned ECU you are going to lose power.  Been there and done that with a turbo engine at 10k feet; it ain't the same as sea level :).

But I'd rather buy a standard bore core engine that's apart for inspection than something that's running that I don't know if it's .060" over with other possible internal issues.  So I think $5k is optimistic.
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 10:37pm
Do you have a build sheet from an engine builder and ported heads could mean anything. Not trying to detract from your engine, but details are very important and when was the engine built. I am not up on AMC engine prices, but if I needed an engine I would want to know specifics.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 4:44pm
Yeah the new 4 door wrangler with the 392 hemi does the 1/4 mile in 13 seconds. 0 to 60 in 4.5

So again, that 401 that does 12s  is not a "Race motor" as mentioned. Because that new Hemi isn't a race motor either. Considering that 4 door wrangler weighs 4500lbs vs CJs 3300lbs
It's a jeep, they weigh nothing and with big tires can put that power to the ground. 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 7:27am
I assure you that the hemi wrangler is not being run at 5,000 feet...
Jeep is claiming 470 net HP as installed?   I bet it is one fun ride.

I err'd earlier in stating that the pressure ratio suffers at that altitude.
It remains the same no matter the altitude. 
Air density is lower as a result cylinder pressure does suffer.

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic