TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Broken Bolt Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Bolt Problem
    Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 1:15pm
I am working on my 67 Ambo and one of the bolts on the gooseneck broke off when I was trying to remove it.  Well I went to use a reverse drill bit and the drill bit broke off in the hole so now I cannot put an extraction bit on it.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?  It's a bit higher than flush but not enough to get anything around it.  

I am not taking the engine apart to try to replace a thermostat.
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by mdh157 mdh157 wrote:

I am working on my 67 Ambo and one of the bolts on the gooseneck broke off when I was trying to remove it.  Well I went to use a reverse drill bit and the drill bit broke off in the hole so now I cannot put an extraction bit on it.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?  It's a bit higher than flush but not enough to get anything around it.  

I am not taking the engine apart to try to replace a thermostat.
Best off removing the thermostat housing and then get at the rest of the bolt that way. If its sheared in the manifold and you cant get anything on it, weld a nut on the old bolt and then try backing it off. Other wise you'll probably be removing the intake manifold 
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 3:02pm
The housing is already off.  I do not have a welder so i guess the car is going to sit in the garage.  

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 3:42pm
You might go to McMAster Carr and buy a cobalt drill bit.  They will drill thru most high speed steel bits.  Buy the size recommended for the 5/16" bolt, so you can re-tap the hole after drilling.   Saved my butt more than once.  They are pricey, but may save you from pulling the manifold.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 4:08pm
Install the thermostat housing and use it as a drill guide. With an oilite bushing to centre the bit and hold it square, drilling out the broken bolt will be easier. Choose a bushing that is snug with the housing and the drill bit.

I used this technique on a broken exhaust manifold bolt that was flush with the head. Using the manifold as a template, I was able to drill out the old bolt and re-tap without having to remove the head.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 6:51pm
Thanks for the ideas everyone.  will try them in the next few days.

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 7:19pm
 Find a buddy with a 110 volt wire welder. Weld a fender washer to the broken stud, then weld a nut to the washer. Easy peasy.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

You might go to McMAster Carr and buy a cobalt drill bit.  They will drill thru most high speed steel bits.  Buy the size recommended for the 5/16" bolt, so you can re-tap the hole after drilling.   Saved my butt more than once.  They are pricey, but may save you from pulling the manifold.

Bob
tufcj

I'll second this suggestion.  I drilled out a Snap-On easy-out that I had broken off with a solid carbide drill bit.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Install the thermostat housing and use it as a drill guide. With an oilite bushing to centre the bit and hold it square, drilling out the broken bolt will be easier. Choose a bushing that is snug with the housing and the drill bit.

I used this technique on a broken exhaust manifold bolt that was flush with the head. Using the manifold as a template, I was able to drill out the old bolt and re-tap without having to remove the head.

Yes - this ensures a straight/true drilling. IF you are off even a bit you won't be a happy person. I have a jar of spacers and bushings - amazing the uses a person can find for 50 year old bushings, etc. 
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 10:06am
Your going to have to go in and break up the drill bit with a flat nosed punch or/and a narrow chisel. its not that difficult. Once you got the bit out re-drill it with a jig mentioned above. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic