TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brazing cam gear oil grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazing cam gear oil grooves
    Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:15am
 Have read much here and at other places on the interweb about this. Have heard  ideas of welding all of them, and some leave maybe 1 slot open.

If brazing, should the whole gear be preheated first to alleviate any cracking from the torch work?

I didn't come across any real proof of a JB or epoxy type product with a track record of working for this. Can anyone share experience with this option??  Thanks to all.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 7:37pm
Oh ya, heat it up uniformly to prevent deformation stress on welds.
As far as recreating new bypass slots, I would make two, 180 degree opposite , after all brazed up. About the size width  of a hacksaw blade to allow oiling on the surfaces.

Rob Wiley
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 9:24pm
I put them in my toaster oven at max for 45 min then braze all but the slot at the key way shut.
Then I grind them smooth.
GearRework by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Jan/20/2021 at 9:28pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 9:49pm
 Thank you!!!  Smile
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:00pm
There is a YT video of someone whom took the TC cover, cut it open to expose the oils extrusion as when like running, then ran the pump with a drill. No idea what the TC Gear backside was like though. 
One Idea Is to get one of those Boroscope devices for about 50 bucks.

Put the  TC in and do the Mod like you did.
 Prime pump with drill and view what actually occurs in oil flow with scope, once assembly is put together.
For ever ppl just trusted it was correct and did OK actually. 
What this Very topic needs is somebody to do just that As I suggested and put a lot of questioning on it to bed!
Rob Wiley
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 1:07am
Not necessary waste of time in my opinion. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
turdferguson View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turdferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 9:54am
I read in another thread that the stock gear has no oiling grooves, can anyone confirm this?
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 1:04pm
Stock gear does have a single oil "notch" that supplies the distributor drive gear on the cam.  Below is probably the most thorough discussion on distributor lubrication on the Forum

Edited by madams - Sep/29/2021 at 1:08pm
turdferguson View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turdferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 3:38pm
Thank You, that is some great information, wish I had it 15 years ago!
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 4:05pm
This is a very good info source you were linked to.

The video that was deleted", was just a Boro-scope probe that displayed Adequate amounts of oil spilling on the Dist / TC gears, after this TC Gear Mod was performed, nothing really special.

Rob Wiley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic