TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BRAND NEW Holley 1931 carbs!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRAND NEW Holley 1931 carbs!!
    Posted: Mar/23/2021 at 6:14am

Great new carb for AMC sixes! A guy on The HAMB hot rod boards just got one for a 65 American with flat-head six. Should be good for a 199/232 and a 195.6 OHV also. It's available in two bolt patterns. Has an adjustable main jet. Fellow on HAMB seems to love it, but had a bad carb to begin with. He didn't mention price. You have to e-mail or call Daytona to order and inquire about pricing.

Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2021 at 10:36pm
Wow, that's great! Yeah, this could be better than the YF for small motors, with that adjustable main jet. 

I've been off the HAMB for a while, never can find much of interest. I think I don't know where to look.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 5:52am
I don't check the HAMB much, but every 3-6 months I go by and run a search for rambler and AMC. Same on Hotrodders.com. Hardly anything shows up on HR, but every now and then something interesting...
Frank Swygert
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2021 at 3:30pm
That adjustable main jet could be a big bonus going over high altitudes. I do wish it had an auto choke option though. I know they get a bad rap but I like my auto choke my car always fires right up though I live in Washington with a more temperate climate.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2021 at 4:06pm
They've been advertised on ebay for quite a while, and say they are located in Hong Kong. I wasn't sure what to think of them.
Glad someone is finding they work!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2021 at 9:15pm
No automatic choke? Deal killer for me. It takes a bit of fiddling the choke spring and idle speed, but now seasonal adjustments are simple.

The brand-new YFA from Mike's Carburetors is just great, for $125.

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2021 at 9:56pm
hi, Mikes says that their new (!) YFA is for Fords only, would it work on a 1979 AMC 232, auto trans?
Thanks, gz
george z
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 10:39pm
You gotta re-jet (drill out larger) and work up throttle linkage depending on the car. But that's the case if you select any non-factory-option carburetor. 

Mike's is being reasonably conservative. Out of the box it fits (some) Fords. They're a carb shop, not a custom shop...

My Holley 1931 or 1908 or whatever it was was junk, and rebuilds were junk out of the box (bad cores, bad rebuilt) so I made the effort to adapt. On long highway trips I get 22 mpg (68 AMerican, 199ci, three speed, 195/75-14 tires) at 65 - 7 mph, and the plugs are perfect light coffee/grey and the auto choke is great.

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2021 at 3:23pm
hi, thanks for the reply. My 232 is in a 79 Spirit. Carb is a YFA, I'll probably just rebuild it, was  curious(lazy!), if i could get a brand new one! it's a a 52k original mile car runs great, but carb gaskets are age deteriorating. Again, thank you, Love your Roadster!   gz
george z
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2021 at 10:37pm
you're welcome! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic