TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bob's 70 AMX project car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ledge70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2021 at 5:58am
Mike your AMX looks better than new. What a great job that displays your time and effort.
I was trying to get mine road worthy before winter but no luck. Lots of work ahead as the engine is still in the motor shop.
Jim
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 4:13pm
I finally got my AMX all together going to install the trunk lid gasket tomorrow and off to the alignment shop on Monday. It has been 5 plus years of very hard work with a whole lot of help from some really good folks on this forum and my good friend Tim who helped with the body work and painting. Thanks to everyone. I will be so looking forward to going for a nice cruise on monday after the alignment
green70AMX
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 5:15pm
Looks fantastic!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Ledge70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ledge70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 6:17pm
Mike I’m putting my Ram Air plastic back together and sure do appreciate the photos. My plan was to follow your advice and do it with the hood inverted as you show. Do you know what type of adhesive to use for the seal donut? When I removed the old one it was a task cause that adhesive was damn near bonded to the plastic.
Jim
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 6:30pm
Jim,
  This is Bob’s build, I’m just another admirer and fellow 70 owner. 
  I bought my ram air gasket from AMARK, but I’m guessing the other AMC dealers have that also. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 6:06am
I have not installed my ram air seal yet needing to take some measurements to see if it is going to need to be trimmed thickness wise before installing. I have the original air cleaner base need to get my lid rechromed . With the R4B intake i need to do so measurements. Thought about spray adhesive but need to make sure the heat will not break the bond. Sure someone on this forum can tell us what they used.

BOB
green70AMX
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 8:36am
Years ago, I put an R4B on my 70 AMX, without the 4 hole spacer that was used with the stock intake. Shortly afterward, the back tab broke off my ram air tub or whatever you call that piece. The seal was hard as a rock by then, so that and the lack of clearance may have been enough to break it off.
Ledge70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ledge70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 5:48pm
Thanks Bob for the info. I bought the seal from AMARK a few weeks ago. I had to mold the rear tab of the (fry pan) as it was broken off. I used Plastex to make the part. Looks like the height with the hood closed is paramount to A……get a good seal but B …..to not be so tight it will create excessive pressure causing the plastic to stress and crack. The seal is parted for adjustment when adhering it down. My original was slit on 45 as well. The frypan has a (start here lettering molded for the seal tub.)
Jim

Ledge70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ledge70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 5:52pm
I’m not far enough along to realize that there are spacers required for height support. Thanks so much for your experience and expertise. 
Jim
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2021 at 7:30am
Such tenacity 100 k plus car the best I’ve seen in a while 
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic