TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Black smoke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 11:13pm
Instead of just poking around at random, diagnostic tests, thinking them out for what might be, is usually faster and easier.  Run for 5 minutes, pull the plugs immediately, lay them out on the fender in order. Look very closely, spend 10 minutes looking at them. Are they soaked with gas? Sooty black? You changed the plugs; are the oily already? Fuel will evaporate completely in a few minutes, oil will not.

When it's idling, if it will, with a bright flashlight (even in daylight it helps), is the choke completely open? Do you see liquid gasoline pouring down? Dribbling?

What's the carb sucking sound like? constant his? Erratic sputtering?

Is there gasoline puddling on the manifold, while running, or after turn off?

An hour of close observation will get you infinitely more knowledge and progress than messing around with random stuff. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 7:06am
Running better with the hose from vacuum booster on fuel pump to wiper motor indicates either a bad line (leak) in the hose or a bad vac wiper motor (internal leaking, or leaking at slide on top). If you're going to keep the vac wipers get a rebuilt motor from Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com) or Galvin's (www.ramblerparts.com). They work great when you don't have a 50+ year old motor, and the rebuilt motors last longer (original was good for 20-30 years...) due to better lube and materials.
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 10:25am
Actually if the topic "Black Smoke" is relevant and disconnecting the wiper vacuum hose makes the engine run better it is likely the extra air in a rich condition that is improving the engine function. He did say "...if I unplug the vacuum hose from the fuel pump that runs to the wipers the engine runs better."

Otherwise yes, if there was a proper air/fuel ratio and the engine ran bad (from an air leak causing a lean condition) repairing the leak would solve that condition.
'63 American Hardtop
BoiseAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoiseAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2021 at 10:13pm
Well I am a bit embarrassed to let you all know what the problem was :)
I hate when people do not post follow ups to let you know what they did to resolve it and what the fix was so here we go.
While I was messing with it I discovered the distributor was really loose. Decided to bust out the timing light and found it was so far out of time I do not even know how the thing ran. My only guess is it was so far off it was a full rotation around? Or 180 out? I do not know I am just an IT guy that likes to turn a few wrenches on the weekends.
Anyway the car runs unbelievably good and I even spent some time buffing it all up, about 4 hours worth. and drove her 50 miles. I could not be happier with this little Gremlin.
Thanks everybody for all your great ideas and responses, this is the best automotive forum there is bar none.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2021 at 7:22am
Thanks for letting us know! Well, you learned something. Always check everything for base line settings before thinking it's something odd. We ALL fall into that sometimes, even us more experienced guys. I've went chasing "gremlins" because I "knew" it couldn't be something so simple... only to come back to checking base settings hours later and finding the issue... Happens more than most of us would like to admit!
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2021 at 10:56am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Thanks for letting us know! Well, you learned something. Always check everything for base line settings before thinking it's something odd. We ALL fall into that sometimes, even us more experienced guys. I've went chasing "gremlins" because I "knew" it couldn't be something so simple... only to come back to checking base settings hours later and finding the issue... Happens more than most of us would like to admit!

Yes, I wouldn't like to admit that too..., but it is true.

Recently my wife told me her daily driver had a periodical  SCREAMING sound when stopping. I glanced through the wheel spokes, and the pads had sufficient material. A few weeks later I was driving the car and heard it too. It was LOUD!
 This time I pulled the wheel off, looked all around and still could not find a source. Then I inadvertently bumped the brake rotor backing plate..., and this fell out. Hard to believe a small stick could wedge itself between the rotor and backing plate, stay there for at least a month and cause such a periodic loud sound.

Edited by wittsend - Feb/01/2021 at 11:02am
'63 American Hardtop
BoiseAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoiseAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2021 at 1:05pm
Yep I know better too. I figured as easily as that car started there was just no way timing was worth looking at. Man was I wrong, its super clean emissions now and runs like a new car :)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2021 at 10:38pm
That's pretty funny! Don't feel too bad, everyone here's done things like that, I certainly have. Glad you found it. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic