TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Best Ignition Box to run with Motorcraft Dist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Ignition Box to run with Motorcraft Dist
    Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 9:22pm
Having problems with finding good replacement ignition boxes that last. Was wondering on what aftermarket box will work with Motorcraft distributor best.Not sure if MSD or other box will work with the distributor or need to go to distributor matching box manufacture. Looking for street use in J10 pickup. Have wide cap and TFI coil now.  
amcguru View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 9:44pm
I run a MSD Street Fire box with a Motorcraft distributor, nice budget box..  MSD makes an adapter pigtail that plugs directly into the distributor without cutting.  

https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/harnesses/parts/8869

Edited by amcguru - Jul/24/2022 at 9:52pm

NAMDRA #3646

"I believe the best social program is a job" ~ Ronald Reagan
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 10:09pm
I've done several with MSD6 box's. I know many don't like them and have had them fail. Believe the issue may be heat and the MSD6 box's I mount on the flat of the fender well away from the exhaust. Never on the fire wall.
Have not had one fail yet.
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 12:17am
I’ve run my MSD 6A for 24 years with Duraspark dizzy and big cap.  Love it.  Night and day on bottom end.  
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I've done several with MSD6 box's. I know many don't like them and have had them fail. Believe the issue may be heat and the MSD6 box's I mount on the flat of the fender well away from the exhaust. Never on the fire wall.
Have not had one fail yet.
Same for me here but I mount mine on the front side of the radiator support beside the radiator and have had no failures yet. I've set up 3 others cars like that and none of them have failed a box. I had a guy from MSD tell me to mount them out front for the best results. That was 30 some years ago and it's proven to be right.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2022 at 7:56pm
An HEI module is a cheap & reliable basic DIY ignition.I was surprised at how quick it started and how smooth it ran it has variable dwell built into the module. I stuck it in a project box on a chunk of aluminum just 4 wires.... there cheap available everywhere quick to change and even used ones are ok. Just another option
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2022 at 10:33am
msd
scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 10:28am
Originally posted by rgsauger rgsauger wrote:

I’ve run my MSD 6A for 24 years with Duraspark dizzy and big cap.  Love it.  Night and day on bottom end.  

I will echo the above. I ran a rebuilt Duraspark distributor with an MSD-6 for almost 20 years on a Spirit 401. It never missed a beat. At the tail end of my ownership of this car I replaced the Duraspark with an MSD distributor. It made ZERO difference. A waste of $300. The factory Duraspark is excellent!
fastjeep View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2022 at 9:53pm
I am installing a 6EFI box from MSD, will go with Fitech injection that is on engine. Just replaced pick up in dist to freshen up and using MSD coil. Can't wait to see the difference it makes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic