TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Best AMC Radiator?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72gremx401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 6:21pm
All you need is a new rad , and a shroud ,plus a shorter spacer . Shrouds are  a very important component that most people neglect .
1972 gremlin x 401
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 6:27pm
Did the radiator take out a blade? The flex-a-lite looks to be similar to what you have.

With the new radiator, your warm day issues should be resolved. Seems like weather is warmer now and humid here in the midwest. There has been a few times where stand still 90° heat in Indy was hard on cooling with race track traffic. Dont know if your outings come that close, but I assume you will need at least a manual switch auxiliary push fan, if your willing, up front.

That Jeep radiator looks to be the same as AMC Lives. Looks good and 600hp is probably the best your going to get that fits under the bars, with 2 rows.

I dont know but, I found some gap under the radiator, which I dropped its installation, which now fits under the bars cleanly. If you have .500" to .750" clearance under the radiator, you can drill new holes or slot the existing, to allow clearance. Mine is not AMC, and is specified taller, yet the wee drop allowed it to clear.

Edited by 304-dude - May/16/2021 at 6:33pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Did the radiator take out a blade? The flex-a-lite looks to be similar to what you have.

With the new radiator, your warm day issues should be resolved. Seems like weather is warmer now and humid here in the midwest. There has been a few times where stand still 90° heat in Indy was hard on cooling with race track traffic. Dont know if your outings come that close, but I assume you will need at least a manual switch auxiliary push fan, if your willing, up front.

That Jeep radiator looks to be the same as AMC Lives. Looks good and 600hp is probably the best your going to get that fits under the bars, with 2 rows.

I dont know but, I found some gap under the radiator, which I dropped its installation, which now fits under the bars cleanly. If you have .500" to .750" clearance under the radiator, you can drill new holes or slot the existing, to allow clearance. Mine is not AMC, and is specified taller, yet the wee drop allowed it to clear.

Yeah, one blade got bent outwards. The bottom tank welds look like they were hit a time or two. That probably bent the blade then the blade subsequently tore into the core. I've got a 18" Flex-A-Lite fan but it's a bit different. I noticed the frame and rivets on the one I have don't reach as far as the one I'm looking at. Might keep the deflection down a bit better.

Car always stayed cool when moving. Sitting idle on a hot day (or staging lanes) is when it becomes a problem.

The AMClives radiator is made to order according to their website, takes 3 weeks.

Lowering the radiator via the mounting flange holes may be a good idea as long as the shroud still aligns with the fan.

-Steve-

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 7:14pm
Ah, forgot you have an AMC shroud... had to look at your photo again. You can verify how much gap for radiator placement and shroud offset, since you have everything there in place. I would not offset more than 1/2". Its guess work on me, as my setup no longer can mount a stock radiator. Else I could have found how much drop one can do with a radiator.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 7:21pm
This is the overkill fan set-up I adapted for my wagon:

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 7:32pm
Nice 401 Ambo! I've had bad luck with electric fans in the past. When I had a naturally aspirated engine twin 12" fans wouldn't keep it cool but an 18" mechanical fan would. Don't know why.

Found a 2-core Champion radiator with 1" tubes. Perhaps this would work?

-Steve-

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Nice 401 Ambo! I've had bad luck with electric fans in the past. When I had a naturally aspirated engine twin 12" fans wouldn't keep it cool but an 18" mechanical fan would. Don't know why.

Found a 2-core Champion radiator with 1" tubes. Perhaps this would work?

-Steve-

Yeah, that is an Eagle.... you could check in Champion's website. They sell direct. Thats where i got my radiator. It was on their discounted stuff at the time. They had free shipping as well, but that was a few years back now.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 7:53pm
A fan of mechanical design with a shroud will pull the most air if the edge of the shroud is exactly the middle of the blade. It's an inverse square from that point putting the blades in or out. So basically on a 16" fan with blades 3" deep and the blades are flush back or front of the shroud, you have 9x less air flow. Rough calculation as fan blade designs vary.
Electric are consistent as they have a fixed gap, close to the shroud. 401AMBO's is likely close to or slightly better in air flow compared to a well functioning clutch fan with a proper shroud.
A properly running clutch fan will draw less HP and cool better then a flex fan in most cases. There are always exceptions!
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

I run one of these in two different cars. I love the look of them and they seem to function very well. I had to fab a 1/2" spacer for the flanges to fit my 68' AMX.

Interesting..... did the tank clear the lean bars in your AMX?

-Steve-

Ya know it's funny but I hadn't even put them on yet. They do clear. It is close but could probably even adjust the radiator if more clearance was necessary!
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 4:15am
The only time a fan hit my radiator is when a water pump bearing failed
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic