TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BBB AMX project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 5:30pm
This has been the never-ending project, but my local track finally open at a very limited capacity.  They were also doing NHRA chassis certifications.  I went to get the cage certified but was unexpectedly able to get in and make a few shake down passes.  The first pass I was very jittery as I haven’t been down the track in years and I had never driven a stick car on the strip.   The first run was a mess as far as my procedure goes and I ended up easing the car to a 15.50 at 107.  On the bright side, the car went straight, handled well, stopped good, plus, it didn’t blow up so I was happy.  I let the car cool down and went up for another shot.  I simplified my procedure and much to my surprise was able to muster a 10.70 at 123 with a 1.546 60’.  Not bad for the cars second trip down the track.  I made one more pass and ended up with a 10.268 at 134.35 mph, unfortunately the 60’ on that run was a 1.589.  I’m thinking I should be able to crack into the 9s with some cooler weather (it was 90 degrees and quite humid) and if I can improve the 60’ time..  But I’m extremely pleased with how the car performed.  I need to dump the oil to make sure the head gaskets are hanging in there, but things are finally moving in a positive direction.  I thank all forum members for the advice and encouragement, this place has been invaluable.  I wou post a video of I cold figure it out.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 9:25pm
Wow, 10.70 at 123 is great for take two.  Congrats and beautiful car!
gmonde View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gmonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 8:05pm
nice job !!!! 134 mph ,, its making horsepower !,, more seat time and working the clutch tuning you will get there !!!!
Gmonde

www.gmondeperformance.com

1970 rebel machine G/SA

11.23 @ 116.00

1970 amx 390 E/SA
10.82 @ 121.00
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2020 at 7:08pm
Thanks, I appreciate the comments and thanks for your help.  I’ve gone over the car and made a couple of small adjustments and I’m hoping to get back to the track in the near future.  I was able to post a couple of videos on YouTube if anyone is interested.  Thanks, Andy

69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2020 at 12:47pm
Awesome.....
what Tranny you running in it?
imo, too much clutch, need to loosen it up some for the hit, and play with counter balance for the shifts.    you shift with or with out the clutch?   if you shift clutchless you will pick up about .10.ideally your tires should spin 1 revolution then hook and be up in the air, or flying down the track..
Stick Shift racing is so much fun  (most the time)!-)
stay safe!
Mike
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

what Tranny you running in it?
He's got a Jerico in it Mike.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2020 at 3:58pm
I believe I have the original trans and shifter out of the POS actually Mike.  I’m shifting it cluthless for now, I was planning to use the clutch, but I don’t know if I need to?  It seems like it would be easier on parts to use it but I’m also under the impression that the soft lock will provide a little cushion between gear changes.  I definitely left at too low of an RPM on all my runs, I need to wire the two step into my clutch switch so I can leave with some degree of consistency.  The car has a used clutch in it at the moment, and honestly I’m not sure where it is at.  I have a second clutch that is freshly rebuilt, so I plan to play with this one until i screw it up, which probably isn’t too far off.  Haha, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

gmonde View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2020 at 4:49pm
on my stocker i had the aluminum short bolts and nuts for counter weight and 2 turns of base for a total of 370 lbs , i was leaving at 6300 rpm ,, you have a more horsepower ,,3-4 turns for your's 
do your burn outs in second gear only ,, in the video it looks like a 1-2 shift for the burn out ,your transmission will like you more 

Gmonde

www.gmondeperformance.com

1970 rebel machine G/SA

11.23 @ 116.00

1970 amx 390 E/SA
10.82 @ 121.00
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2020 at 12:41pm
Wow!  nice car.  Its like the only BBB next to mine that I have seen with white stripes.  is it a real BBB and white stripe car?
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 7:41am
No, it had black originally, but I perfer the white.  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic