TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Basic AMC V8 Rebuild by SC397

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Rebel68343 Rebel68343 wrote:

I’ll have to go talk to RaceTec they are down the street from me. 
Well I’ve been planing on rebuilding this 343 I got for my Rebel. 
I’m not sure if I should just bite the bullet and put aluminum heads and forged pistons as well. 
What’s compression ratio are those wise I pistons with the stock 50cc cylinder heads ? Or for that matter with the Edelbrock cylinder heads 54cc 
I wouldn’t be racing it really maybe couple times a year but other than that weekend driver. 
Also when drilling the main bearing feed holes it’s the oil mod usually done on the lifter galley where you put a an hose from the front of the back not needed ? 

Of course RaceTec will make you pistons at whatever desired compression ratio that you want.
I have bought quite a few sets from them and they are great people to work with. 
The Rozwell engine was provided with cast 9.5:1 pistons.
If you used the Wisceo pistons with the 21cc dish and stock 50cc heads your compression ratio would be 8.35:1.   
If you used the Wiseco pistons with the 8.6 dish and stock 50cc heads your compression ratio would be 9.43:1
For what you are using the car for, I would honestly not spend the money on aluminum heads and I would go with the 8.6cc Wiseco pistons.
Finishing the drilling of the main bearing feed holes is just to complete the job that the factory should have done.  Most early engines and a few of the later blocks are drilled all the way through but not all.  Some are only drilled 3/4 the way through. 
The internal oil line is added for performance reasons. It is to help get unturbulated oil to the rear of the engine faster.  Some believe in it and some don't.  I really don't want to waste effort in discussing it here. If there is enough interest, I could write up another thread to feature a higher performance engine build and include that in it. 

Edited by SC397 - Aug/03/2021 at 7:23am
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Sorry Rick, didn't intend to derail the thread.
Those are the Scorpion SBF 1.6:1 bridge rockers installed? Length of pushrod used?

In trying to simplify and not overload my Flicker account, I added pictures of other engines to show certain things.  I did not use Scopion roller rockers in the Rozwell build.  I will add a note to the picture.
But to answer the question, I think I used 8.2" push rods in that particular engine which was a 401 with stock heads.   

Edited by SC397 - Aug/03/2021 at 7:24am
Rebel68343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 11:50am
Thanks for the insight SC397 I appreciate it, I would probably take your advice on the cast iron heads. I’d have to get new headers if I go edelbrock heads. Any recommendations on a place to get a 343 rebuilt kit besides eBay ? Looking for that 9.51 compression or 10.1 thanks 

69 Chevelle
68 Amc Rebel
31 Model A
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 12:12pm
There really is no kit to rebuild cylinder heads.
You have to rely on a Machinist to determine if you need new parts or not.  He can check to see if the valves, valve springs and or valve guides need replaced.  You can find valves and springs on ebay but the machinist will have to order guides if they need them.
Always have them Magnaflux the head first before starting any machining even if they were pulled off of a running engine.
I always have the heads milled no more than enough to straighten the head and get a good fresh gasket surface.
I prefer the nylon valve seals over the rubber ones.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 5:35pm
I’m sorry SC397 I was referring to a rebuild kit for the engine with new pistons. 
If memory serves me right I did have those heads gone through and some new valves were installed at the time. I’m running a stock cam. So I didn’t have anything else done to them. At the time when I was a kid I was just plain broke and re used the pistons and did a re ring job. But the engine has been sitting so long with water in the block that I’m know I should just be rebuilt the whole thing and hot tank it. I’d like to just go .30 over on the engine and get the crank and rods checked. Etc 

69 Chevelle
68 Amc Rebel
31 Model A
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 5:47pm
There are kits available but you are at the mercy of what is in them.  The pictures of the kit is generic and they don't even show AMC parts.  I nailed them one time because the photo shows a FelPro gasket kit and they shipped me something else.  I have had good luck with Falcon as a supplier and they did send me a FelPro gasket set. 
I actually prefer to order the parts separate myself in order to get the brands that I want.    
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 11:35pm
Heya SC397 , got a quick question , i recently had a 343 1968 javelin rebuilt , 30 over bore 480 lift comp cam alum edelbrock performer intake , alum 401 performer 60119 edelbrock heads egge pistons stock crank all machine work done ( 8 week was the turn around ) . Had an avs2 edelbrock 600cfm carb on it but ran very bad , subsequently 2 other edelbrock 4 bbl carbs on it and also ran slow . The only carb that ran good on the upper end of the rpm range was the stock afb 500 cfm ( how or why i dont know) , What hp should this thang be making ? In short this motor will not even lay rubber down , not even during brake torqueing . What the blank is the problem with this thang at low rpm's , i was there when the cam was installed and it was installed at the center dot not retarted or adv. marks. I also have several other issues that the builder will not stand behind his warrenty so now im out 12,000 dollars and have a pile for a motor . Wish i had knew of you before i made this MAJOR mistake . What could i possible do to correct this engine to perform the way it should since the builder wont honor his warranty . Plz give me some ideal what to look at or direction to go in figuring this out . went in debt for 5 years for this and got cheated in the process . im sure you know the builder i got scammed by thats why i have not mentioned his Co. Be ware out there folks of this AMC grifter ! Any help here would be a god send at this point !   
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 11:48pm
Thanks Sc397 for the good advice and making the post 
69 Chevelle
68 Amc Rebel
31 Model A
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 12:47am
Javtopgun
The experts are here wait for their response. They have been big help to me.
Larry
SC Rambler
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 2:53am
Again thanks Ramzilla , im sure there are many people on here that could figure this out but there ARE many issues going on with this engine that arnt rite and the builder refuses to correct anything or even look at it as he has ducked my emails and calls and txt for a month now untill yesterday when i asked for my money back and said im sueing him . Im sure the valve geometry is not rite and at one point it broke rocker arm stud and the head gasket , possible gaskets , seep down the sides of the block , he delivered it with a spun cam barring the first attempt witch i had him take it back and replace cam , and barring while i was there and on and on and on . Once it started costing him money he stopped taking my calls email and txt . Seem his full warranty as he stated when he wanted my build and whats on his website dont apply when it get into his pocket . Here is an intresting fact . When it broke the rocker stud , he was paid to remove and rebuild the motor to produce 360hp or better then reinstall , he said for me to remove the motor and send it to him . i live in an apt. , for a broken rocker arm stud which i found and replaced and under warranty drove back to him to replace all the roller rockers that did not fit properly , they jam up on the stud if they came loose ! guess what came very loose ( these even had the jam nut ) ! Also one other thing i had to take it to a transmission place cuz the the fly wheel came loose and was sounding like rods were banging . Also he said remove motor and send it to him . Now ,all this with other stuff less than 2500 miles and three months . if you want to know who , P/ message me .  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic