TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Balancer+timing cover tighten seq not followed???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Balancer+timing cover tighten seq not followed???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balancer+timing cover tighten seq not followed???
    Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 6:26pm
Hi everyone, the other day when I was thinking things over, like I have been since I got the rambler in Dec, I had a thought, and it was a bad one....
I realized when I was re- reading  the tsm engine section, specifically regarding partially installing the balancer after the timing cover to block screws are left loose, and then it is moved alittle to accommodate the partially installed balancer so the seal isn't disturbed, I rememberd not thinking about that when I gave the timing cover to the builder to install, he installed the timing cover pieces without knowing about the tightening sequence, I got the engine back, and later pressed on the balancer myself, with out thinking about the tightening sequence either.
Does anyone have exp with how bad the oil leak could be? Would it be alright to leave it like that and fix it after the break in?
norwegianrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 11:21am
You should not have any problems at all with any oil leakage from the seal, referring to how you did it in the video. pt 26.

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jun/11/2021 at 11:34am
1961 Rambler Classic Crosscountry
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:13pm
I hope so! Also thanks alot for watching the work as it happens on YouTube!! I'll keep the videos coming each weekend!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2021 at 1:44am
I don't think I have ever used the balancer to line up the timing cover prior to tightening it down like the tech manual says. I've followed the bolt torque pattern and spec, but never the alignment procedure.

And I've never had one leak.

I probably should follow the procedure, but not following it has never caused me a problem...not on an AMC six anyway. That is part of what I love about the AMC six: it is extremely tolerant. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 3:12pm
Alright that's good to hear! I hope there's no leak there when I fire it up.
-tom
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 4:12pm
Wait....you're talking about a 195.6, aren't you?

I spoke of a 199-232-258.

I've never messed with a 195.6. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 10:21pm
Even the 232 you are "supposed to" insert the harmonic balancer into the cover to center it (I swear I read that recently in the TSM, but I've been wrong before...) but if it went in OK I doubt you will have any issue. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 6:15am
Putting the balancer in before tightening the cover makes sense -- lets the seal center better on the balancer. But like others, I've usually tightened down the cover then slipped the balancer in. There isn't much movement in the bolt holes, so any misalignment is minimal at best. In theory it could wear the seal a little more, but not enough to be concerned about.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 10:53am
Yes I was talking about the 195.6!
And it's good to hear I shouldn't have a problem, but I think tomj had mentioned the balancer is a balancer that was a slip fit and can be pushed on or installed pretty easily, I think he even mentioned it could lightly be tapped on with a hammer, but I might be wrong. 

concerning this, the balancer I put on was Soooo not easy to press onto the business end of the crank, it didn't go on easily, and I had to do this whole thing with a long bolt that I made sure was the same amount of threads per inch, and was the same diameter ect ect to press the balancer on, because the two balancer install tools I tried, one I bought and it wouldn't fit and the other the counter person took it out of the package and checked the size for me and I couldn't use that one either, so I resorted to using the bolt method. I thought of it all by myself !!!!
I don't think the builder put a oil slinger in there either, which I would have preferred he did, but I think it's my fault I didn't ask him to use one.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 6:44am
The oil slinger came off, it should have gone back on. It's possible it was overlooked or even not there originally. With a modern seal you sholdn't have a problem with leaks from the timing cover even without the slinger.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic