TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bad gas ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad gas ?
    Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 1:31pm
I filled up at the local Chevron with supreme plus 96 octane same as I always do . Shortly after engine started "popping" at carb . Checked all plugs and they are all the same , black soot covered . Carb, fuel pump are new and worked fine before fill up . There is $135.00 worth of fuel in there , any thoughts or suggestions .
Donohue
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 1:57pm
Water will move to the bottom of the tank, so try and pump/syphon off the bottom 5 gallons into a clear water jug if you can to see what you have. 
If it's just water then do the following:
Add a bottle of fuel stabilizer to the tank. You live in Canada so Canadian tire caries Star Tron.
Run to the busiest gas station that sells premium fuel and fill it up again. Few use 96 Octane so that underground tank likely has been condensing water all winter long. I find Shell 93 to be the most stable fuel, Mobil 94 near me is 30% ethanol - you don't want that.
If the fuel is rust, drain the tank and flush the system. Put in fuel from the busiest gas station and try for something people use more like 93. If you need an octane booster, then just add it.

Edited by Trader - Mar/26/2023 at 1:59pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 2:09pm
Pull the line at the carb. Crank it a few times into a container.Water or gas?
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 3:25pm
I suspected bad gas and checked with the gas station.  They had a measuring stick and the lowest point in the tank was below the hatch.  They put some chemical on the end of the stick that turned yellow if it sensed water.  Pulled the stick out and no indication of water. I was still skeptical so he got a little spit on his finger and touched it - instant bright yellow.  I ended up with a carb problem, no sign of water in the carb or tank.  Point is, check with the station and they probably have a way to check it.  This happened to me about 20 years ago.
68 AMX 390 4SP
67 RS Camaro 327 Auto
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 4:54pm
Was it ethanol free gas? It happened to me long ago. A couple of cans of good dry gas and it ran through.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 5:34pm
Update - Did fuel cleansing , "popping" still there thought maybe cam lobe wiped out removed PS rocker arm cover to confirm . Problem found rocker arm exh. on # 2 cylinder had backed off and not working the valve, reassembled and adjusted made sure jam-lock nut was secure .Fired up great popping gone , running fine again . Thank you all for your help .
Donohue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic