TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aw4 swap torque converter problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aw4 swap torque converter problem
    Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 10:50pm
After doing research and going through the 2 threads on the aw4 install I wanted to do my own aw4 install for my 72 javelin with 401 so Got the transmission with torque converter from a 96 Cherokee, ordered flexplate on line, Was in the process on installing it hoping it would be an easy install but ran into a problem with the torque converter snout or the ring or disk part of it not going into the crankshaft creating a 3/8 gap between the torque converter and flex plate mounting bolts. Took the torque converter off measured the snout disk part and it’s 1.813 od. Measured the crank hole, I didn’t have snap rings or dial caliper to measure it up just a tape measure, and measured 1 11/16 which i converted it to decimals and its 1.6875 which no way it’ll fit. I’m wonder if someone else ran into this problem and either machined it smaller or used another torque converter or I’m I just the lucky one that discovered this new problem??
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 6:17am
Engjne have a th400 originally?
Sounds like the reducer sleeve was left in the crank for the smaller snout on the GM converter
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 10:39am
It was bolted up to a th400. I didn’t realize they put a ring in there for the Chevy trans. Will check and give an update on that
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 10:49am
That makes sense. No such problem when I did my swap, but my previous transmission was a TF998.

Have you match balanced your new flex plate to your old one?
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 3:55pm
I wanted to get my flexplate matched balanced at a local shop hear in Fresno, the only place around hear that would do it, but he didn’t want to take the job even tho I insisted and recommended me just take off the weight from the 401 flex plate to the 4L flex plate which I just ended up doing. I’m taking a risk but if it vibrates I’ll take it out and send it somewhere else to get it matched balance. 
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 7:38pm
Ok I was able to check the pilot hole and yea it had the ring in it. Took it out and checked it with torque converter and yep it went in so yeah it’s good to go!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic