TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Availability of Offy Quadrajet Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Availability of Offy Quadrajet Intake
    Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 2:27pm
Anyone know of someplace that has the Offenhauser 6057-DP single 4-barrel spread bore intake in stock?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 2:36pm
No and you cannot even get Offy to contact you back. I guess maybe a phone call to them but email and facebook gets you nothing. 
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 2:49pm
I'v used a carb plate adapter in the past for Rochester spread bores, when there is hood clearance.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Anyone know of someplace that has the Offenhauser 6057-DP single 4-barrel spread bore intake in stock?

Back in the day i paid about $400.00 special order from Tognotti's. It was around 1990 or so.

I went with the single port 360 and bought the new Holley 650cfm double pumper with integral top to change jets without need to empty the bowles.

It was rare then, and very rare now. The dual quad is fairly hard to come by, and i never seen another 360 like it. Because I ran it on a stock 304 i used a segregated port spacer that was 1" tall. Ran like the devil when secondaries were engaged.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:05pm
PM sent.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:25pm

I have my doubts that you could find one, but Summit lists it at $701.99 with a July 26 availability. I have seen one in my life, and have always been told that the Dual Port works best with the Quadrajet carb base. Good luck. They can be modified to bump up the top end power with a little work. People used to cut out the divider beneath the secondaries to make it a sideways oval, and trim back the 8 dividers at the head end about 3/4 inch and taper each.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I have my doubts that you could find one, but Summit lists it at $701.99 with a July 26 availability. I have seen one in my life, and have always been told that the Dual Port works best with the Quadrajet carb base. Good luck. They can be modified to bump up the top end power with a little work. People used to cut out the divider beneath the secondaries to make it a sideways oval, and trim back the 8 dividers at the head end about 3/4 inch and taper each.

So they are only reproducing the DP 360 version? The spread bore 360 single port never lost any low end over my stock 2bbl, in fact i had very strong pulls just off idle on low speed coasting, and that was with my 2.76 mopar rear. The stock 2.89 never pulled as hard, with or without dual exhaust.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

So they are only reproducing the DP 360 version? The spread bore 360 single port never lost any low end over my stock 2bbl, in fact i had very strong pulls just off idle on low speed coasting, and that was with my 2.76 mopar rear. The stock 2.89 never pulled as hard, with or without dual exhaust.
I don't know what they are making. He asked specifically about the Dual Port.

On your intake, are you talking about the Offy 360 with a single divider wall running the entire length of the intake? It is a single plane, divided right from left. The left side primary and secondary of the carb feed cylinders 1,3,5,7 and the right side primary and secondary feed 2,4,6,8.

In the Dual Port, the 2 small round front carb openings feed all 8 cylinders running on the very bottom of the intake, and the 2 secondary holes feed all 8 cylinders in a higher plane, and are insulated from underneath heat by the bottom plane.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 5:09pm

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I don't know what they are making. He asked specifically about the Dual Port.

On your intake, are you talking about the Offy 360 with a single divider wall running the entire length of the intake? It is a single plane, divided right from left. The left side primary and secondary of the carb feed cylinders 1,3,5,7 and the right side primary and secondary feed 2,4,6,8.

In the Dual Port, the 2 small round front carb openings feed all 8 cylinders running on the very bottom of the intake, and the 2 secondary holes feed all 8 cylinders in a higher plane, and are insulated from underneath heat by the bottom plane.

Back when i ordered the Spread bore 360, they had both versions, DP and Single port.

The design was divider like you stated, but i used a spacer that segregated each venturi. I wanted low end velosity, since it is stock RPM street use.

I was aware of the DP, but Popular HotRodding, did a spread or some feed back on DP intake. Which did not favor the overall performance, like you stated with modding one. So i went my direction to tune down the standard 360 spread bore intake.

Not sure but the Holley at the time fit just right being a spread bore and all. The only Holley i came across at the time that fit such an application for upgrading quadra jet intakes.

At the time some speed shops said i had been smoking weed. Wanted to sell me a sp2p or performer which did not have spread bore. Never had a fire, or spit back. Easily tuned the 650, and ran it like i stoll it, which made some people notice by my 55MPH 1st gear merges on expressways.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/17/2021 at 5:13pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 5:17pm
I think many people have been confused by 2 totally different intakes with such similar names. They were called Offenhauser Equaflow 360, and Offenhauser Dual Port 360. They were both legitimate 360 degree single plane manifolds with 2 different purposes. I don't believe that Offy made an actual dual plane 180 degree intake. A lot of people confused dual port with dual plane, and still do.

By the way, I have an Equaflow 360 divided single plane, and have always wondered if putting a 4 hole spacer on it wouldn't be the thing to do. It would raise the carb up a bit which might keep the incoming charge from crashing into the intake floor because the plenum isn't too deep. Also, I thought it would help if the floor had some ridges or roughness of some sort. It isn't on the car now, so that may be for a later date. Thanks.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Apr/17/2021 at 6:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic