TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Auto Lite C6101 Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 4:48pm
My guess is fuel and your going to need to clean the carburetor again.
Mine was not running well this past week and noticed the fuel in the filter is not transparent, it's cloudy.
Pulled the plugs and they show a greyish deposit buildup. Definitely fuel and what ever is in it goes through the filter. Has not fouled the carburetor as I checked and everything there is clean.
New plugs made running much better.
New filter tomorrow.

Bethany Blaster View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 5:02pm
ok, yeah I pulled the idle screws out and they were clean, I guess I'll pull the carb apart and see if there is a little piece of crud in there.
Thanks
Bethany Blaster View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2023 at 12:15pm
Cleaned the carb and yeah it was full of crud, changed the fuel filter and put it back together. Still wont idle, started looking for vacuum leaks. Found a crack in the spacer under the carb, changed that, it started right up. Idled nice, I set the mixture screws. I turned it off and now it wont idle again. Went looking for more leaks. Found another one, cracked hose. Again started right up, idled for a bit then stalled and now wont idle again.....seems to not want to idle once its warm.... PCV valve is good, I plugged all the vacuum lines and nothing....Any ideas??
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2023 at 8:58pm
Gotta be careful with them needles. You probably have been, but in my ham-handed experience, they and the float can end up deforming pretty easily. If you end up tearing the carb down again, make sure to check the needles and the seats for any burrs or divots/pockmarks, that sort of thing. Often times folks will have cleaned out passages with stuff that isn't really appropriate for the use case and will leave scratches in things. Before you go that far, take a peek at the venturi.

After shutoff, look down the bore and see if you've got any liquid fuel from the venturi nozzles. That's a pretty common issue. This guide will give you a rundown on diag and fix for the issue:

It's been a good while since I had a Carter, so I'm pulling from stale memory here. I changed over to a Weber 38 a number of years back, which has been a lot less fiddly for my purposes (except for the choke. The electric choke and I got off on the wrong foot and never get along very well haha). If a carb swap is something you end up considering, a 38/38 DGAS a fine carb for a street 258. Probably want a little more carb for something really rippy.

Edited by knobbler - Jun/18/2023 at 9:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic