TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2023 at 10:47am
Hi Steve,
I am running Strange single adjustable rear shocks and front struts. When I finally get around to getting my big motor done I plane on switching to double adjustable.

Take care and good luck !
Rob
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2023 at 5:41pm
Oh well, went back to the track on Wednesday night and didn't see any improvement, best time was 11.261 @ 120.73 with a best 60' of 1.646 compared to 1.595 a couple of weeks back. Was a pretty ordinary night and it seemed like they only prepped one lane as the other one was like an ice rink, I actually thought I might have had a coolant or oil leak getting under the tires. Only did six runs and three of them were in the slippery lane. See what happens next time I guess, need to be a bit more switched on about picking up things like dodgy track prep. They have a 3 seater rail that does passenger rides during the day and I'm guessing maybe he was using the good lane.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2023 at 5:44pm
Another night of testing and I think I'm going to have to chalk the rear bumper experiment up as a failure. This week the track prep was fantastic, was told they had a private track hire, that's usually the big boys testing. Track was so sticky there seemed to be an unusually high number of driveline failures in modern street cars, broken diffs and axles.

Best 3 runs with bumper (over 2 nights):
11.261 @ 120.73, 1.646 60' 
11.264 @ 120.35, 1.626 60' 
11.246 @ 120.24, 1.617 60' 

Best 3 runs without bumper
11.194 @ 120.01, 1.599 60'
11.149 @ 121.11, 1.595 60'
11.185 @ 120.71, 1.613 60'

Track conditions were pretty similar in terms of D/A and temperature, maybe a very slight wind advantage on the without bumper times.

I'm thinking the added weight is slowing me down and I didn't see any improvement in 60' time, it was slightly worse, so it isn't helping me get off the line any quicker either.

I'll have to concede defeat and go with the conventional wisdom of some better rear shocks Wink 

I did spend a fair bit of time messing with the AFR targets in my Sniper system for this weeks event only to find on race day that I couldn't upload them into the ECU for some reason, bloody technology, it's great until it doesn't work.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 8:58am
Today was the last meeting of our season, managed to get my Sniper talking to the SD card after some reformatting and firmware updates and loaded the new AFR targets.

First run of the day with the rear bumper still installed was 11.256 @ 121.03 with a 1.643 60' time, pulled the bumper off and the next run was a new PB of 11.138 @ 122.29 mph with a 1.618 60' time. That was my best run of the day, but did manage 11.187, 11.206 & 11.201 along with a couple of dud runs, so I'll take that as a win for the no bumper option.

Just for the record:

Still seems like there is a bit of room to improve the 60' time, but I have several months to come up with some winter upgrades.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2023 at 8:45am
Well, to give me an excuse not to do any winter upgrades, they have run a couple of winter events and the weather has been bloody fantastic.

That said, I have been struggling with traction, so much so that I spent some time underneath tonight looking for a problem and it seems one of the rear shocks has crapped out (doesn't extend smoothly). Since we were discussing this recently, I guess it's upgrade time and I have ordered a set of Calvert 9 way single adjustable rear shocks since they are available locally and it was too hard working out what double adjustable would fit.   
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2023 at 8:53am
You won't regret it!!!!
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2023 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Steve Obertanec Steve Obertanec wrote:

You won't regret it!!!!

Do you happen to have a good baseline setting?

Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2023 at 3:56pm
They suggest half way to start. I believe I'm at 6. My car separates pretty aggressively. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2023 at 5:40pm
Spotto my Gremlin in the background of: 

Street Outlaws vs the World Season 1 Episode 1

Big smile

PS: Just parked in the staging lanes.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2023 at 9:07pm
Ok, back to me chasing my tail on rear suspension setup, fist time out with the Calvert rear shocks a couple of months back, first run off the trailer below, shocks set on 6, best 60' of the day at 1.64, even popped the right front off the ground for a brief second.

Slow motion video of the run here:

Second run, tried more stall and basically used all of the rear suspension travel before launch, 60' blew out to 1.8 with wheel spin.

Next run, less stall, still had wheel spin for 1.83 on the 60'.

4th run, tired loosening the shock to #4, that caused more wheel spin and 1.95 on the 60'.

Final run, turned the shock up to #9 (full hard) and ran much better at 1.65 over the 60'.

Thought maybe I needed to slow the rear extension down even further, so I decided to try clamping the rear of the springs (I'd removed the factory clamps some time back). Go back to the track and the car just lights the tires up instantly, take the spring clamps off, same thing, let the tires down from 16 psi to 13 psi, still spinning, softened the shock, still not going anywhere (literally)

Video out the side just for reference:

Anyway, have to conclude that the track prep was simply rubbish, they did have a massive skid-fest the weekend with people doing full track power-skids all weekend.

I really have no idea how to make this car work on a poor surface, Steve has suggested second gear launch, which I'll keep in mind for next time.

Moving right along, the next time at the track, the prep is really good, they had a big boys test and tune the weekend before. 

So now I have an issue with the rear end bouncing when I have too much grip as per the video below:

Not sure if this just needs more tire pressure, I was at 13 psi.

Just seems a struggle to get any sort of consistency with changing track surfaces, I know that's part of the challenge, but by the time you try a couple of changes, the day is over and you are back to square one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
  Share Topic