TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2023 at 10:00am
New PB tonight 11.149 sec @ 121.11 mph, helped along by some better track conditions, good to finally see some dividends from the recent cam change:

Wallace says I have enough mph to run 10.95, just need to find something off the line.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2023 at 11:49am
Nothing like nice fall weather conditions to bring out the best performance. I am guessing you're already making plans to improve the rear suspension this winter?

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2023 at 12:34pm
That's awesome Darren! I'm really glad to see that you keep making nice gains! It's very exciting to see that you have the chance to break into the high 10's next! Fingers crossed!!! 🤞🤞🤞

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2023 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Nothing like nice fall weather conditions to bring out the best performance. I am guessing you're already making plans to improve the rear suspension this winter?

Tom

Tom, I'm not really sure what direction to head in now, didn't really have any traction issues last night, last change I made was adding 6 clicks of compression to the front shocks and that has helped a lot, I think it was coming down too quickly and unloading the rear. The solid front spring eye bushes a while back also helped a lot.

If I bring the RPM up more on the line, the rear separates and most of the travel is used up before the launch, don't know if rear suspension upgrades would fix that, I'm thinking split monos and caltracs would have the same problem.

If I want to run more in actual competition next season, I'm really going to have to work on consistency. 
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2023 at 6:27pm
What are you running for rear shocks? My car was the same as yours on the line for many years. Very hard to slow down that separation.
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2023 at 8:12pm
Steve, just running Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable rear shocks.

As with most things, upgrading the rear opens a can of worms, do I just add some Caltracs with the stock springs, change the springs out for split mono-leafs, upgrade shocks, have to consider adding sliders at the rear and them maybe move the springs inboard while I'm doing all of that. One of the things that's on my mind is that if I move away from the slapper bars, I might need to install a rear anti-roll bar, it launches pretty flat and straight now, I reckon the slapper bars work a bit like an anti-roll bar.

As I understand it, when foot braking you are always going to have rear separation when you bring it up on the convertor and it's not something you can slow down with rear shocks, this would be where a transbrake comes in I guess.

The current convertor flashes to 4200-4500 rpm on launch, so maybe the gains would come from a better convertor with higher stall speed.

Always the challenge with my limited budget of trying to work out what will be the biggest bang for buck investment will be to make the car quicker, especially now that it's withing sight of a 10 second timeslip Smile 

PS: One crazy idea I have is to install the old front bumper onto the back of the car, a bit of ballast at the back might help with traction, especially if the track prep is a bit average as it seems to work fine now on a good track.

Edited by WesternRed - Apr/29/2023 at 8:16pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2023 at 8:27pm
I'd have to suggest the Calvert 9 way adjustables. Mine used to pick the rear tires off the ground it separated so fast. I added some leafs to stiffen the spring package & put the Calverts on & it was an amazing transition. No more tire spin & no major separation. The car has been 1.34 in the 60' with 28x10.5 tires. 

I called Calvert & gave them top & bottom confirmation as well as extended length & collapsed length. They found me a shock that fit perfectly. 

A relatively cheap solution. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 12:24am
I'd be in two minds with the Calvert shocks, I think they would probably be an improvement, but then I'd be tempted to spend a bit more and get some Viking double adjustable shocks, I think there are some real benefits of being able to adjust compression and rebound independently. The only question would be if I stick with the stock staggered shock arrangement or do something different, which might affect shock dimensions and mounting arrangements.

Changing the cam has picked up something like 5 mph in the top end, just need to improve the 60' time to match. The solid lifters definitely seem to allow it spin to higher RPM, what I thought previously was the rev limiter starting to cut spark below it's set point, was more than likely the hydraulic lifters starting to give up.  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 9:40am
Since I like trying low budget upgrades:

The bar plus mounting brackets adds up to 50 lbs, so the extra weight might cost 0.05 seconds off the ET unless there is an equivalent gain or better in traction. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 9:43am
Good call. Forgot about adding weight. Haven't had to do that since I got the Calvert rear shocks. ;-)  (Subtle Hint) 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>
  Share Topic