TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 1:24pm
That's excellent progress Darren. I'll bet that put a big smile on your face? Sounds like you leaped closer closer to that roll cage project.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 3:28am
Thanks for the kind words guys, it has been a bit of a journey that will continue for some time yet I hope. 

Tom, there is always the desire to run quicker, but going fast enough to need a cage is both an achievement and also maybe a bit of a downer because of the cost involved.

Mbwicz, the valve float appears to be resolved, did notice that it was breaking down a little bot at the top end though, might need a new set of plugs, since I only stuck an old set of NGK BKR5ES back in and they are probably a couple of heat ranges hotter that what I should be running. I'll pull a couple of plugs just to see if there is anything to note there. One thing is that I now know what valve float looks like in the data logs as the difference is quite apparent between before and after.

That was actually our last Wednesday night street meet for the season although they have thrown another Sunday afternoon event in mid June that I will try to get along to. Then the track is shut to September, so I will dust off the winter project list and see what's next.

The transmission has done 350 runs now, so that might be due for a service and/or freshen up, might have to take Ken's advice and look at a better convertor for it.

I did shoot a heap of video last night for further analysis with regard to suspension performance and tuning, but I think my laptop has has a hernia and doesn't want to play anymore, so that might take a while to get to.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 8:04am
Here is the under car video from the first run this week, bit of a difference (PS: just realized the last videos were flipped):

What's that, is that an air gap under the front tire? Had to add a couple of slo-mos at the end just to make sure. Picking up the passenger side front? Can't see the driver's side front wheel behind the diff, maybe a little better camera placement next time. 

What the heck is going on with the diff coming out of the burnout? 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 2:00pm
Thats a pretty great way to end the season.  I know it was a scramble to get the heads swapped out, but it sure gives you lots to think about over the winter.  

Really well done!

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 4:58pm
    Thanks for posting your progress Darren.  Always look forward to your updates.
That last video from under the car is good to watch.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 7:41pm
Here is a bit more video, made a mount for the camera to hang it out the rear side of the car:

Run 3 was a bit wobbly:

Slow motion version:

Run 5, got a bit excited on the stall with this one:

Slow motion version:

Seems like the tail is wagging the dog, might be time to have a bit of a look at the rear suspension.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 8:42am
I think I might have found the cause for the wobbly rear end Shocked:

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 9:54am
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Thankfully it didn't break off!! Whew. Glad you found the real issue!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 5:05pm
Not much chance of anything breaking off, just the symptoms of some very olds and tired rubber bushes, nothing a bit of solid aluminum won't fix. It's moving around enough that the slapper bar bump stop slides off the side of the spring eye.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 7:02pm
Gonna keep the rubber at the shackle end, or going with something different there?
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
  Share Topic