TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMBLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:12am
Looks great Darren!, hadn't caught up with it all for a while.

I think it will make a big difference the exhaust. I dropped 4 tenths by taking off the 2.5" exhaust with straight through mufflers, and having it straight out the collectors. 12.2 > 11.8.
343 904 M20 - 11.83@115
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:50pm
Thanks Adam, I remember you telling me about that previously, I'm going to build a new 3" system that dumps at the diff from scratch.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 12:30am
Since I will be building a new exhaust system this week instead of racing, thought I would do some bench racing instead using the good old Dyno 2000 software:

"Original 270H" is basically where we started.

"New Cam" is when the current cam was installed in the old 8.5:1 compression motor with the dual plane intake, can see now why this was a backwards step.

"New Engine" is where we are now with the same cam, 10.5:1 compression, single plane intake and pocket porting of the heads, assuming that's the equivalent of what I've achieved with my backyard porting exercise. Now at this point, it looks like I haven't really realised any of the expected gains except for quicker 60' times due to the new converter, but haven't tried any tuning/timing adjustments either.

"New Exhaust" is what it should achieve with small tube headers through mufflers.

Interesting that the first two sims seem to be pretty much on the money.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 10:04pm
That Gremlin oughtta do same as my '69 367 "X"...
Stand on Brakes, Knot Up Converter big time, launch,
1.8x 60', 8.x @ 86.x 1/8, 10.x 1k ft, 12.6x @ 108.x 1/4...
#3200, Pump, 343/367, 10:1 Cast, 218 @ .050, Torker, 750DP,
MSD/Delco, Stk Motorola, h20 Pump, Flex-A-Lite,
Carter 6906 Mech Pump, Stk 5/16" Suction,
3k 727, 3.73, 26x8.5's @ 9 psi HOT, Man Strg, ~500' Above SL,
1.63 Cyclone, 2.5 Full Mandrel Ex, No "X", FM 40's...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/09/2018 at 10:16pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 12:07am
Should really do a bit better than that even, certainly hoping it is just the exhaust holding it back now, 2" press bent pipes are probably more like 1.75" around the curves in reality.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 5:29pm
Exhaust has helped a bit, but unsure how much yet:

The gear shifter has gone out of adjustment, so no third gear hence the low terminal speed even though this was the best ever ET, did pick up 6 tenths and 6 mph over the 1/8th mile though.

The bad news is that it has sprayed oil all over the engine bay, possibly as a result of hitting 7,000 RPM, so only got the one run. Now I have to figure out where all of the oil came from.

Seems like a lot of oil to come out of the breather, so maybe blown a rocker cover gasket out? edit: No, looks like it all came out of the breather

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/17/2018 at 10:08pm
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 6:06am
We built 360 with similar pistons, timing had to be correct othervise it pinged easily. I hope you didnt break piston ring land.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 7:01am
That's what I've been thinking about all day at work today, the only way that much oil comes out the breather is if there is some sort of catastrophic engine damage. First thing I did tonight is pull the plugs, they all look ok, did a quick compression test and all cylinders were ok. Checked valve cover bolts and they were loose, looks like I might have dodged a bullet this time. I will clean it up, put it back together and see if there is much in the way of blow by. Did notice that the alternator belt is missing in action, (can't call it a fan belt when there is no fan).

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/18/2018 at 7:04am
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 9:15am
In my experience, if you are running good gas and have no detonation issues, they like more total timing than 34 degrees.

My race car with 14-1 compression and 114 octane race gas likes 38 degrees of total.

Are you running cast pistons in it ? If so you should have spent a few hundred extra and upgraded to forged for your application.

Just a suggestion but put some decent race gas in it and give it more total timing.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Oct/18/2018 at 9:18am
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 9:34am
I definitely should have used forged pistons and rods, but I am a TARO "Tight Arsed Rambler Owner', that said, I was pricing forged pistons today fearing the worst, LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic