TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2019 at 3:37am
The 1980's called they want their period mods back:

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 4:57am
Looking good Darren. Ready for the Hornet and Gremlin 50th anniversary celebration in Albury next year? Wink

They are really growing on me the little Gremlins Smile
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 9:07am
Bit more surgery, just keep cutting until there is only air left:

Already got one patch welded in here:

New section:

Old section welded back in:

Rusty bit patched, got to use the new shrinker/stretcher in anger for the first time:

Cleaned up my ugly welding:

Then a patch on the inside to finish off the lower section of the A-pillar:

More to come next weekend I suspect.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2019 at 4:59am
Did I say I hate rusty dungbox Ramblers, upper section of the a-pillar is a real water trap apparently:

Even more rust inside:

Just keep cutting:

Apparently when you break a bolt off, you just smash another one in next to it:

Weld, drill, tap and then re-attach to the new inner patch:

Then weld some more:

Inside done, did consider not double skinning it given the potential for future rust, but then the doors weigh 40 kg each, so maybe the extra strength is needed:

Second patch for the outside layer:

More ugly welding:

But the grinder fixes all, yep, I'm a grinder, not a welder.

At least I wont have to worry about the door falling off anymore, well that's if the welds hold.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 3:47pm
Doing it yourself and driving it. Thats a win in my book.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2019 at 6:50pm
Back to rockers/sills or whatever else you like to call them. Bent the outer rockers up at work:

Bit of trimming and bending on the ends to make them fit and a bunch of holes along the bottom to plug weld them on.

I decided to go with a lap joint to join them into the top section of the original rocker, bit easier to manage on a long join like this:

Finished off the welding, followed by the obligatory grinding:

And with the bottom finished off as well:

I have tomorrow off work, so will see how much more I can get done, still a slim chance for the Nostalgia Drags next Sunday perhaps.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 5:37pm
Been a few weeks since the last update, I've been plugging away at it but progress seems pretty slow. Gave half the floor pan a coat of of brush on KBS paint after some extensive wire wheel action, the other side can wait until the other rocker is done:

Also used the long angled brush on a stick method to apply a bit of paint to the inside of the rocker:

From there is was time to cap off the ends of the rockers:

It's small patches like this that seem to waste a lot of time:

Patch for the lower rear quarter panel zipped in:

Looks a lot better after a bit of grinding, saving the remaining rust hole for later as I will need to repair the rear wheel arches at some stage:

Then it was time for the front cap on the sill, had three attempts at making this before it was good enough to go in:

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 4:54pm
Great progress on the Gremlin. I know how slow and tedious this can seem, but it sure will be solid when you're done.......

Rick

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 5:59am
With the side pretty much done, it was time to get back to the original job, straightening out the back of the car.

Just to recap, I've already pulled the rear panels off:

Rear valance straightened out reasonably well and required one small rust repair patch. Not sure if this is really the best way to go about things, but the majority of the inner bits got a couple of coats of KBS rust seal, then a bit of weld through primer around the edges to finish it off:

Rear bumper mounts come in handy for holding things in position:

After some plug welding and grinding:

Did get the bottom and ends welded up as well, just a bit more grinding to do now.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 4:58pm
The Gremlin has been in hiatus for a couple of weeks due to other commitments, but managed to get a little done today. Had a couple of nasty dents in the rear quarter panel to sort out:

Quite a tedious little job, but got there in the end:

Also welded up some of the holes I'd cut previously in the boot floor for the fuel cell so that I can set it up a little differently and not have the return line running through the cabin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic