TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

audible flasher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: audible flasher
    Posted: May/21/2022 at 3:20pm
Who remembers flashers that went "dinka dinka" when you put on the turn signal? Most vintage cars had #552 flashers, or similar, and we could hear them work, even over ambient noise. Now I can't find any that are mechanical, and make that sound, so I can't hear my blinkers, and they flash too fast as well. Does that mechanical bimetal switch type still exist in the known universe?Confused
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 4:29pm
You should be able to find a suitably loud flasher. Have you looked on line ? You do want to make sure that the flasher is snapped into the clip on the back of the instrument cluster. The cluster acts like a sounding board to amplify the sound of the flasher. An alternative would be to find an alternative spot to mount the flasher to the lower dash frame or some other location that may amplify the sound more to your liking.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 6:31pm
The one in my AMX I found at Oreilly's. Box even said it was purposely audible.

-Steve-
Rambler Joe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 6:44pm
You know, I didn't consider that. I will have to snap it back into its holder. It's just hard to reach.
Rambler Joe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 6:47pm
I looked everywhere, even bought a few. None of them can be heard, and they all blink too fast (they are all the short can kind). I did see one that was meant for two 32 CP bulbs, which is what I have, but it was a three terminal type that won't work in my car. 
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 7:14pm
 I did a little reading this is what I found about flasher relays also, I looked at my 70 AMC wiring harness it has two #522 flasher relays I don't know if that's factory just mentioning. One net thread said the 522 was more audible for people with difficult hearing? Also the articles said they are interchangeable.

Relay Flasher #224 is a Turn Signal Flasher that generally mounts with a nub to a bracket?
Relay Flasher #522 is an Emergency flasher that mounts to the fuse panel?

I don't know if this one is audible?

Edited by JGRANTAMX - May/21/2022 at 7:24pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 10:56pm
If you reach under and up behind the dash you can undo the speedo cable so you can pull the instrument cluster out far enough to snap the flasher back into it’s retaining clip. Just put a towel over the steering column so you don’t scratch it.

Edited by george w - May/21/2022 at 10:58pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
PeterS3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterS3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 10:31am
When my Dad got older and hard of hearing he put a motorcycle turn signal indicator in his old pickup. They're normal 2 pin flashers with a piezo electric speaker so that motorcyclists wearing a helmet and ear plugs can hear it.

A motorcycle flasher with a beeper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224820531283

A new old stock flasher that I accidentally came across. There are likely others if you're willing to look around on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234511922109

Some of these are listed as a "LED Flasher Relay". I'm guessing that means they're made to blink at a normal speed while using low current LED bulbs. I have no idea what they'll do with old style bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Flasher-Indicator-Blinker/dp/B01M33EX59/
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 8:48am
Originally posted by PeterS3 PeterS3 wrote:

Some of these are listed as a "LED Flasher Relay". I'm guessing that means they're made to blink at a normal speed while using low current LED bulbs. I have no idea what they'll do with old style bulbs.

I can't speak to that one, but I have a Grote LED flasher relay on both my '57 Chevy and my '88 BMW 535i and they work fine with LEDs, LEDs & incandescent, and incandescent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic