TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anybody re-chrome / Chrome Magnum 500's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody re-chrome / Chrome Magnum 500's
    Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 1:01pm
I have been thinking about putting some chrome Magnums on a 78 Gremlin GT and or a 68 Javelin.  

I found a company:

It looks like they would prefer working with painted wheels.  I think I am looking at about 300 per wheel.  I haven't called them yet.  It appears they will take the wheels apart for prep and chrome, then put them back together.

Anybody have any experience rechroming/Chroming wheels?  Who did you use?  

I would use aftermarket but the chrome is thin and I don't plan on babying these wheels.  I would like a good thick plating so I don't have to chase rust.  For example my NOS original Bumpers last a lot longer outside than my rechrome bumpers.  I don't really want to baby my wheels.

Any advise from experience?  I didn't see anything like this when I searched so send a link if I missed it.

Thanks,
Dave

VR,
Dave
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 2:23pm
If your NOS bumpers last longer than your replated ones, you are not using a quality plating service.  The OE bumpers didn't have a lot of nickel on them, you can tell this by just looking at a NOS one.  Any true "show chrome" plated bumper will have about twice as much nickel thickness as the OE bumpers had; this is what give the "depth" of the shine to a high quality rechromed part.
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 4:23pm
  You can buy brand new ones from Summit racing.  Wheel Vintiques is the brand.  14-6 250.00 bucks a wheel with free shipping!   
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 8:01pm
Steve_P
Since you asked, my bumper in question was done by Bumper Boys.  I figured it was a driver and thought that they might be good for a driver.  They were a price leader.  Unfortunately, the first one lasted less than a year and the 2 year warranty continues counting when the bumper isn't on the car so the 4 months I waited for the re-chrome counted against my warranty and I had the privilege of paying for shipping from their location so I got it back earlier.  I was told that they wouldn't re-chrome it again, even if it had flaws within the warranty period.  Being the price leader didn't work out and I have 3 more bumpers from them wrapped in the attic.  I guess if I don't let the car stay outside, they might be ok for a while.

Have 2 SCs.  
The aftermarket wheels look good.  I was going to go with them but then I saw a set in Jerry Tucker's garage in NC on a lift and another set or 2 at swap meets.  The chrome is thin and nice enough if you garage your car.  If you don't, you will be chasing blead through rust.  It will come through the pores in the chrome.  Zuds or Barkeepers friend will keep it at bay for a while but you will be spending time on them keeping them nice.  That is different from the factory chrome magnums that lived a long time before they needed attention.  Unfortunately, 50 years is too long of a time for exposed chrome and most of them have some problems these days.  Jerry's wheels had very few miles and were rusting.  He was not terribly happy with them.  

If one brand is better, I would consider new but I don't know that that is the case.  I even considered buying new and sending them out for chrome.  

So I am back to asking if anyone has done it.  All I want is 60's or early 70's production quality.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by 1ManGang - Jun/02/2023 at 8:08pm
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 8:16pm
You won’t get 1960’s or 70’s USA manufacturing and engineering quality in 2020’s China. 

My advice: media-blast some real steel wheels, powdercoat them, and install some nice period hubcaps or wheel covers. That along with some repro Firestone or Goodyear bias-ply tires and you’re all set. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jun/02/2023 at 9:16pm
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 8:48pm
All chrome plating is thin. As Steve pointed out, it's the nickle underneath the chrome that gives it the depth. Most of the cheap plating work uses very little nickle due to the cost of it. If you take care of the Wheel Vintique wheels by keeping them waxed, they'll hold up just fine.

Yeah, Bumper Boyz stuff has been garbage for about 20 years now. They use to have a good product but when they moved their operation to Mexico, the quality went in the dumpster. They were very popular in the Mopar world 20+ years ago. I have some friends that still have bumpers from them that look great now and they have had them on their cars for 30+ years now.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 9:15pm
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 9:21pm
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 10:32pm
Sweatlock:

Nice hubcaps.  They aren't really what I am looking for.  Here is a picture of a bare Magnum 500.

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 4:50am
Originally posted by 1ManGang 1ManGang wrote:

Sweatlock:

Nice hubcaps.  They aren't really what I am looking for.  Here is a picture of a bare Magnum 500.

Yes, understood - I was just throwing out some alternatives. I have a set of the Magnum 500’s, but I think they’re overdone and a bit boring. Many new cars in the 60’s & ‘70’s came with wheel covers or hubcaps, so I think the Magnum’s are now ‘over-represented.’ I myself will be going with wheel covers on my ‘69 AMX. 

If you want to get a set of wheels chromed, then I would contact forum member easydean - he has a USA source for re-chroming and they will probably be able to do wheels. However, the cost per wheel will be up there, and a lot more than the $250 per wheel for the Wheel Vintiques ones from Summit listed above. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jun/03/2023 at 4:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic