TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any warning before spider gears blowup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any warning before spider gears blowup?
    Posted: May/21/2022 at 12:35pm
Is there any indicator that the spider gears are getting ready too fail? I've noticed during burnouts that tire smoke comes from both sides of the car. Still more on the torque side. Is this an indicator that the spiders are getting ready to blow? The differential is an open AMC 20.

Regards

Dono
nudhistbudhist View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 11:15pm
Years ago my open 15 died without warning. Near as I can figure, they slowly started to fracture and then just fell apart with a mighty crunch one day during a wide slow curve in the road. Dad and I swapped the axle to another I had around, pulled the cover and checked what happened. We stopped looking after the 14th piece of spider gear
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic