TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX/Jav Side Mirror Mounting Plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX/Jav Side Mirror Mounting Plate
    Posted: Jun/26/2022 at 9:04am
I made up a bunch of these in case anyone is interested. They go inside the door, and give a nice stable mounting surface for the mirror. I'm sure this isn't something everyone will want, but it you have a rattling/loose mirror and it drives you crazy this is one way to fix it. They only fit 68-74 AMX & Javelin doors due to the curve of the door skin, and the hole spacing is for the 70-up style mirrors. 

They have two brass threaded inserts in the plate for the screws to thread into, and the screws are 316 stainless steel (not 304) so they won't rust. The screws are coated with Vibra-Tite VC-3 which is designed to be pre-applied to screws and allowed to dry so it works great for the little kits I make. It'll prevent the screws from coming loose, but still allows them to be removed later. The existing holes in the door will probably have to be enlarged to fit the #8-32 screws though. 

The plates themselves are made from ABS plastic, the same as most of our dash and interior parts. The weird grooves are drain passages worked into the plate to allow any water that might come in via the screw holes to escape.

They're $15, and that includes USPS shipping in the USA. PM me if you want one (or two I suppose, if you have a passenger side mirror), I've got about 10 made up right now. 

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2022 at 10:47am
Would it be possible, if you decide to make more, to add a third threaded insert to be able to accommodate both the earlier 68-69 style mirror as well as the later model sport hooded mirror ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2022 at 11:11am
Definitely! I'll work up a version specifically for the earlier mirrors as well. I don't think I have any examples of those mirrors anymore though as I've been cleaning out my boxes in the garage over the last few years, so I need to borrow some to use as a template.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2022 at 1:55pm
I need 2, will send a PM. Thanks!
Cricket
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 11:32am
Got mine today, and these things are great. I will be installing them as soon as I get my new mirrors painted.
Thanks,
Cricket
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 1:13pm
These are very cool.  If you ever make them for a 69, I'm in!
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 7:24am
Will do. I'm trying to dig up some mirrors to use as templates, if anyone has any that are too nasty to put on a car but are in good physical shape around the base please let me know.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Would it be possible, if you decide to make more, to add a third threaded insert to be able to accommodate both the earlier 68-69 style mirror as well as the later model sport hooded mirror ?

Me too!  I have a 69 AMX with very questionable mirror installation and a set of these would probably help.

Edited by roadventure - Jul/10/2022 at 12:20pm
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2022 at 2:50pm
Great idea! Gotta love 3D printers
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

Motorhead View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2022 at 9:14pm
Great idea! I,d like to purchase 2 sets while available. Sending PM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic